Sterling Audio

sparky25890

Does anyone here own a Sterling Audio Microphone?

I just bought a ST55, i haven't had a chance to use it yet. But does anyone know if its good, i got it off Musicians Friends for $200.

417461.jpg

GT55.jpg

those are the groove tubes rebadged for exclusive guitar center sales as i understand it. no GT44/Gt40 though! if they are the groove tubes they are worth a listen...the gt44 rules.

i think starbucks, guitar center and walmart should just get it over with and merge and start building Terminators.

Mike

I just bought a ST55, i haven't had a chance to use it yet. But does anyone know if its good, i got it off Musicians Friends for $200.
Not to be a smart ass, but I have 2 (or 4 questions)....

1.) Why did you spend $200 on a mic if you never heard it or of its reputation?
2.) How could WE know if it's a good mic for YOU?
3.) Why don't you just use it, and decide for yourself if it's "Good"?
4.) What is "Good"?? Good for what ? Overheads?, piccolo?, acoustic guits?, vocals? Whose vocals?

Really.... questions like yours are so open ended, you might as well ask "Does the soup that I am going to make next week taste good??" :confused:

That said, it "looks" nice....

It is just rebadged Groove Tube stuff. I tested a few of these last week against my gt57 and they all had nearly identical characteristics, which is the typical chinese high end boost, I also found myself cutting the low mids with these mics the same way as I have to with my Groove Tubes.

"they all had nearly identical characteristics, which is the typical chinese high end boost"

huh- i've found just the opposite with my gt-44. no high end boost at all and when you do eq em up there they take it very well.

never heard the others though.

Mike

Congrats Sparky! Very cool. I just saw the Sterling Audio ad in the new MF catalog myself, and was curious about them. I think it's great that you went ahead and bought one - I and lots of others here will be interested to see your impressions and feedback about it!

Well thanks alot for all the input.

Im going to test it out today on overheads and guitars, ill let you know how it goes.

bigtoe said:
"they all had nearly identical characteristics, which is the typical chinese high end boost"

huh- i've found just the opposite with my gt-44. no high end boost at all and when you do eq em up there they take it very well.

never heard the others though.

Mike

I'm speaking of the solid state versions. I've only had a few chances to work with a gt66, and never really got to test it's presence boost compared to my gt57. But all the solid state ones I tried had a strikingly similar eq characteristic.

that's a bummer. i was hoping to get something similar with some gt33's. :(

thanks for the tippage...

Mike

GT, ST ...whatever

The LDCs sound the same almost, the SDCs sound the same almost, the Tube is compleatly different, and the ribbon sounds, well like a ribbon. I like the stuff for the price, class A FET, not bad for a chinese mic overall. good blum and MS sounds.

Back