standard phantom power...

cellardweller

Mackie, ppm series, 808m

I'm trying to recall (and can't) what standard phantom power is rated at. My mackie 808m has 15v phantom... this doesn't seem right for some reason. Is it just me? I did try searching, but kept getting "website not responding".

Also, how would I determine exactly what type of preamps are in my mackie, if they are good/bad/or average, etc.?

I'm trying to "conservatively" figure out what my next step up could/should be to have a noticable impact on the quality (at least from gear perspective) of my recordings. Pretty sure I'll go with the DMP3... :confused:

Well, I guess it's safe to say that this could have a less than desirable outcome when using a mic that requires phantom!

My selective vision had not permitted me to see the other spec.pdf on mackies website which detailed this little deficiency.

Well that explains that!
Thanks.

check out a rane ms1b sometime. used by a lot of name artists and engineers. but who cares about that ?
seriously - try one some time.
48v phantom power.

manning1 said:
check out a rane ms1b sometime. used by a lot of name artists and engineers. but who cares about that ?
seriously - try one some time.
48v phantom power.

Not quite sure I follow the entire post above, but are you saying it may be, in some ways, preferable to the m-audio DMP3?

its personal preference. for ME...my tests of the rane show its hard to beat for the money. but then i think the yamha mg mixers are pretty damn good value for what you get as well.
the ranes also seem to stand up over time.
another sleeper is symetrix. well respected.
you just gotta demo them ALL.

I gather that this may be a sore subject for you? :D

Are they less expensive than the M-audio, or just superior in your opinion?
I don't think yamaha has ever allowed anything to wear their banner that was crap....
I've only recently heard of symetrix...

Keyword here is "budget-conscious". Not that I necessarily want to buy something that will not serve my needs for a fair amount of time (der.. :p ), but my wife frowns on my expenses, and I have to make them count!

Back