spark vs spark digital>

hoboeperson

so the spark digital is coming out and its essentially the spark microphone but with a usb output. if i get the regular spark il probably ge an icicle xlr to usb converter. will i notice any differences in sound quality between the spark and the sark digital? thanks

I doubt it. We are talking about the difference between a wicked cheap internal preamp and A-D converter and a wicked cheap external preamp and A-D converter. No real difference in sound. And- given that they are made by the same company, they may very well be the same units, electronically. There's one difference though, and it's huge. If you get a USB mic, all it will ever be is a USB mic. If you get an XLR mic and the Icicle, when you decide to break the piggy bank and get a real interface, you'll be able to plug your perfectly good XLR mic into it. And- if you get another XLR mic, you can plug that into the Icicle for a different sound. The Spark and Icicle combo wins hands down on versatility. It's no contest.

There's one more relevant difference. If you buy the combo, and the Icicle dies, you still have a mic. If the mic dies, you still have the Icicle. If any component of the USB mic dies, the whole unit is a paperweight. All other things being equal, separate components are always the better choice.

Back