• Total voters

pint07

Oh hello
Alright, so I think I'm going to choose between:

Studio Projects T3

Studio Projects CS5
&
Kel HM2-D

Any of them would be a huge step up from my Behringer B1, i know...

So could anybody tell me which of these would be best? With reasons and such, for a male tenor?

Also, if anybody knows of someone who would want to sell one of these used, I would most definitely be interested. I'm a huge used gear fanboy. >:]

Hi Pint07,

I bought a new CS5 from E-bay ($289) and was so excited by it - I bought another one! I don't think the Kel mic could compare with it - although I have not used it and it may be great too. The CS-5 has so many options (pad, high and low filter choices). It can do bright and it can do smoother (not bright) by rolling off highs. This mic just sounds great - on guitars and vocals (what I usually use it for). I also do backing vocals and change them up by rolling the highs back in. This gives you that 2nd mic type flavor! I would love to have a T-3 also - but think it is probably more of a one trick vocal mic. I do have a C-1 (version 2) - it is also a keeper. Also if you are buying a T-3 make sure you get Ver 2 because Brent Casey (the engineer) states they have made important improvements in capsule performance, consistency and electronics.

Good Luck!

You might also want to consider the Kel HM7U, since you are considering the T3. It will give you the warmth you are looking for and it's less money...also gets a lot of praise, FWIR. Go to the Kel website for samples.

I don't have any experience with the CS5.
I do have both the T3 and the HM2-d.

The T3 is far from being a one trick pony.....
Being multi patterned it can be extremely versatile for instruments or voice. I've used it for acoustic guitars and Drum room mike.

The T3 is probably my most often used vocal mic being chosen over even my TLM49, v67s,AT4033 and a handful of other choices by Cad and AKG.
The HM2-d is good but a little woolly in the 330 hz range when used in close for male vocals. It happens to be a perfect match for my brothers voice which is a Baritone range.
It has a tremendous reach for those who like to belt and need some distance between them and the mic. I have recoded voice from 6 feet and you would swear they were 10 inches away from the mic.

Both Chessparov and Harvey Gerst have SP CS5 mics...Ive pmed them for reviews but niether have written one...but Im curious about the fact they are arround $250 at some places.

Never actually owned either the T3 or a CS series, but both are VERY fine vocal microphones IMHO (tried them at NAMM some years back). Haven't tried the Kel.

I had a cold that day, so that might have been a factor on the CS edging the T3 out that day-had thought the year before (with a less "baritoney" voice) that the T3 was an amazing value.

I know the Blue Baby Bottle is another winner on me, but that one sounds like "one trick pony". The other 2 SP's seemed much more versitile in tone to me for a variety of vocalists.

Back