SP C1, Shure Beta 87A or AKG c535EB?

Feanor IV

Guys, I know that this is totally subjective and also has to do with how *my* voice sounds over them, but what I want here is your *subjective* opinion on which of these mics is the best, in *your* opinion. Moreover, please give me any ideas on objective stuff about these mics, which company do you trust more (which one do you suppose is more durable) plus which of these mics you've heard the best about etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)
THANKS

Menelaos

Do a search on the C1 and you will be well informed. The other two are great live mics, not so much for recording.

Well, as thousands have pointed out before, there is no "best" when it comes to mics. Mics are like shoes. They either fit, or they don't. To compare the mics you listed, I am comparing 2 handheld stage condenser mics, one American, and one Austrian, to an American/Chinese hybrid studio mic. The C535 is simply one of the best stage mics made. Favored by such dreadnought class performers as David Wilcox, the 535 absolutely rocks live. Like all stage condensers, the 87 and the 535 are a little feedback prone, and function best in small venues with acoustic acts, or in situations where the sound system is very good, and the guy running the board really understands EQ and feedback suppression.
The C-1 is a low priced studio mic that is of very good quality in its price range, and is a little too open, and a little too sensitive to be a very good stage mic. It's got a noticeable high midrange boost which makes it very good for a lot of vocalists, and I'm not particularly impressed by it as an instrument mic. You asked about customer support, and Studio Projects CS is pretty much the best there is. You won't have any trouble getting ahold of Brent Casey, and SP will do whatever is necessary to resolve a problem, even when it's not the fault of their product. No man can ask for more than that.
If I was looking for a stage vocal mic for an acoustic act, I'd grab the AKG and never look back. If I was looking for a studio vocal mic in the $200 price range, I'd consider the C-1, along with AKG C2000B and CAD M-179. I am not personally a fan of the 87, but like I said, mics are like shoes. If the shoe fits, wear it.-Richie

Ah, thanks very much to both you guys, you've been very very helpful, really! :) If anyone else can send in more oppinions, I'd be very glad to see what you think of these mics. :) I hope I'll have around $200-250 until Christmas and I was thinking of a nice mic for my vocals as a gift to myself! :)

If it is for recording you should audition the C1 and the m179. I acquired the cad recently and it can do many things well. I think you'd really enjoy having a multi pattern in your arsenal

As a matter of fact...

Just yesterday I did a test on several different mics at the store (as I am looking to upgrade). The 2 I chose were the Neumann TLM103 and the Shure KSM44. However, not being independently wealthy, I have to try and choose between the two. So...

I recorded a couple of blips of me singing at the store on the same type of DAW that I have at home. I then went home and sang the same "blip" into all of my mics to compare. Anyway...I own all three of the mics you mentioned (plus some).

Here's the scoop (at least the way I saw it)...

For recording, of the bunch, the C1 is FAR better than the other two. The AKG and the Shure, however, are much better live. Which one totally depends on your system. I used to use the C535's exclusively, until I upgrade my sound system. It then sounded way too "tubby". The Shure soundes cleaner and the vocals seem to sit better in the mix. (If you are indeed interested in a live vocal mic, I would also suggest the Sennheiser E865. Sonically, it sits somewhere in between the AKG and the Shure. It has more body than the Shure, but not a muddy as the AKG. It sounds FABULOUS!)

The C1 is a pretty good sounding mic, even up against the "big boys" (well, at least the "medium boys"). I actually prefer it, in some ways, to my NT1000 and it even sounds good next to the KSM44 and the TLM103 (though these two sound bigger and more open).

If you're interested, I could post some mp3's of my test, so you can hear it yourself...

I've never found the akg535eb to be muddy, and actually use this mike regularly for recording and rarely live! If anything, it's presence peak and roll off should help vocals stand out in a mix. I've layered plenty of vocals using this mic, and the results have always been pleasing. The mic does not work well for sibilant vocalists though...

Big Kenny said:
Do a search on the C1 and you will be well informed. The other two are great live mics, not so much for recording.

Hey Big Kenny,
have you had an opportunity to A/B the 535 with the CAD 179?

I have a C1 and C535eb and like them both. The 535 was my 1st 'proper' mic and thus I am very fond of it. I actually bought it for recording, as it was the best mic I could afford at the time (no affordable LD's then) and was never disappointed. I used it for Rap vocals (Hip Hop) and I think we got a sound comparable to commercially released Hip Hop. It produces a very up-front sound and will not be the best for sibilant vocalists. It is not as quiet as a lot of modern affordable condensers, but it is a class performer and more than suited to recording as well as live work (also used it live with great success).

However, for sung vocals, as opposed to rapped, the C1 is better for me. It still cuts through in a mix, but is a little more restrained than the 535. I have no experience with the sure, but I can say that the Electrovoice RE1000 is a rare and overlooked mic and I like it a lot on by voice. It is very subtle and natural sounding, so if you see one on ebay, grab it, or let me know, as I'd love another at a bargain price.

I also have a GT55, which is darker than the other's I have mentioned, but a real bargain for the right sound/voice.

justharold said:
If you're interested, I could post some mp3's of my test, so you can hear it yourself...

YES! :) That would be just fantastic!! :) Thanks in advance, and I'm really looking forward to hearing the tests! :)

Back