sound sample: snare -> MD-441

tubedude

People have been asking lately about the 441, and I mentioned something about posting a snare sample when I got time, so here it is... about 1 minute long...
Band from Indiana called Full Tilt, no vocals on it yet (I havent even heard a scratch vocal on anything yet, and we've tracked like 15 songs)
Pork Pie snare --> MD-441 --> Canare Quad --> Souncraft M-series preamp --> Delta 1010 --> Lexicon Pantheon room preset to add some space and thats it... fully unmixed otherwise.

www.nowhereradio.com/samplestuff/singles

Peace.

Feels like I should like it, but I don't. The sound is too deep, dark in my opinion. It kinda stands out from the rest of the kit as if it was a sample. However, I don't think the reverb helps much.

I dont find it too dark. I just find it too pronounced in the mix - and I know the song and mix are not done yet.
I think its a nice snare sound. Nice job tubedude

I kinda cranked the snare before I bounced this down so that people could hear the sound it had on snare. I lean towards a loud snare in the mix anyway, so this isnt too far off what I would do. I think it is very round and smooth sounding, and I have another sample elswhere of a 57 on the same snare that sounds thin and weak by comparison. I personally like this thick "dark" snare sound, but I would like a little more high end in it, but it hasnt been touched by EQ. The 441 takes well to EQ, too, so that makes it all that much more valuable.
The reverb was a standard preset, I just opened a room sound, backed off the mix some and left it, just to have a little something to fill it out. I actually kinda like that, too, though :) To each his own, heh
Peace!

Actually it might be just the mixing, the reverb and the way it sticks out. I can't even hear the kick drum. Can you post a mix without the reverb and less pronounced, I think it would give people a more accurate description

I could probaby do that, but it might be a a little while... I can hear the kick ok where I'm sitting now, but the snare is too loud... like I said, I was trying to make it heard for this sample....

not diggin that reverb, but otherwise, me like the snare sound.

but really, "full tilt". they need a new name. that sounds like a band name from an afterschool special. you know, the bad kid wants the good kid to come with her to a concert, and the good kid's mom says, "no way- and since when do you listen to 'full tilt'?" and the good kid says, "all the cool kids like 'full tilt', puleeze let me go." and so on...

also, while "full tilt" has an "all the way" sort of meaning, it also sounds like "leaning over all the way". which is sort of a strange image for a band that wants to sound all tough.

Hey tubedude,

I think that the snare sounds great in your sample! The MD441-U is definitely an amazing piece of engineering to look at from the inside of the microphone. It looks like a three stage rocket that has a dampener on each stage of the diaphragm assembly. Really clean work is to be found here & this mic is much easier to take apart than a 421 is FWIW. After living with my newly acquired 441 for two weeks now I've found it is very capable of recording (& WELL at that) any instrument I've been able to give it so far. It is a very clean microphone is its presentation of the sound source. An SM-57 sounds really "dirty" compared to the MD441-U [listening side by side]. It really does sound more like a condenser in a way. I LOVE mine and want to get another one soon so I have a pair of them. :D

Back