Sound Devices / or recorder (for Telinga microphone) offer or advices

Martin Bo

Hi all!

I have never had the money to buy a Sound Devices recorder, but someone (with alot of experience) told me this would give me the best
possible audio quality (available) due to it´s great Preamps quality, and last a lifetime. So to my question: do anyone have experience with SD 702 or similar, or possibly have a great offer for one (?!) :-)...

Or if I can use a recorder with a 3,5 mm minijack input with a MIXED-PRE or so for my Telinga and Sennheiser microphone, as I understand I can use it either with a XLR adapter (or Sennheiser only XLR) but I understand the 702 only takes XLR?

Sorry for a perphaps confusing post!

Thank you / MB

I use a Sound Devices 744T for Orchestral recording. It's a phenomenal piece of gear. It's built like a tank, with 1st class pre-amps and converters. There are certainly other recorders that will get you recordings ALMOST as good, for less money - but they aren't going to last nearly as long. (I've bought a few of them, believe me.) If you need no compromises location recordings, and plan on doing it for a long time, get the Sound Devices (or the even more expensive Nagra).

I wouldn't say that the Sound Devices are the best available, though they are certainly excellent recorders.

I would say the Nagra seven is better, as is also the AETA 4MinX and the Sonosax recorders.

Thank you for advices - currently planning probably to go for a portable mixer instead, that I can later connect to any recorder,
and use the great preamps of the portable mixer. That should allow the system to be very "interchangeable"

Back