Sony C48 - need some information (serial number)

Nadzilla

Hey guys,

I inherited a Sony C48 through unfortunate circumstances. Whilst I love this mic, I don't foresee using it very much in the future and there's other gear I really need but have to find funds for.
Therefore, I'm starting to try to get a value on this thing.
It seems to have a low serial number: 1562 - I'm not sure what year that would denote. It didn't come in its original case but came in a collection of microphones that were all presented in a well-built multi-mic case (velvet lining in each custom-sized compartment). So it's been well looked-after, but the original case was nowhere to be found amongst the house clearance. :confused:

Is this the place to find a history expert, or is there a site that is a little more focused and "niche" that anyone can point me towards?

Cheers,
Nadz

Hi there,

Firstly, sorry to hear about the circumstances.
On the bright side, these are fairly sought after quality microphones. They generally go for between £7-900 used in UK, in good working condition.
Do you have the equipment to prove working condition?

The original case always nice but never a deal breaker.
The fact that it was kept in a case is good, though, and I'd include that information and a picture in your sale listing.

I'm not sure how much information the serial number can give you.
There doesn't seem to be a wealth of information out there but, at a glance, it doesn't seem like there's a range of variants either.

If you sell it used I'd recommend including an audio/visual demo.
Also, once sold, take another audio/video demo to prove that it's working, and say the name of the seller.

I sell plenty of personal used gear and it's rare that there's a problem, but the one time that there is that video record will be worth having! Trust me!

Hi, thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, I came up with nothing when trying to research the serial.
I actually tested this mic out just before posting, nothing worse than asking for info, getting ready to sell it, and then realising it's kaput! >_< All the sliders function, as do the LEDs,, the contacts in the 9V battery capsule are shiny and untarnished and there's not a scratch on the housing, either, which says a lot about how well this has been kept over the years!

Thanks for the tip about using the seller's name on an audio clip, I hadn't thought of that. 0_o It's a small thing, but like you say, very much worth doing in case the worst happens.

Thank you. :)

Yes, indeed! Call me paranoid but I had a very awkward customer recently who was demanding a refund for all sorts of silly reasons, and return shipping would have put me handsomely out of pocket.
The video saved my ass in that instance. :)

Feel free to pop it in the classifieds section here, if you like.
I'd love a nice clean one of these, but I'm not in a position right now. :(

Back