sonic difference between rode nt1 and nt1-a?

I think a better option for you would be the rode NT2-A, the main reason is the three polar patterns, and to my ears it sounds less harsh than the NT1-A in the high end, I used the NT2-A for a few years as my main LDC until getting a neumann TLM103 which I now use for almost everything.

I don't mind the NT1A but, for that money the mics I'd recommend listening to would be the sE2200A II or the sE X1. Both excellent mics...slightly warmer and more natural than the NT1A to my ears.

+1 to that, they do sound slightly more neutral

Just to throw something into the mix, I believe there is a place sometimes for the cheaper (read cheapo)mics in ones stable. I know that sometimes one can use their deficiencies to emulate recording of the past . . . like adding hiss and pops to make a recording sound like it's being played on an old vinyl record or in a old dance hall.

If you need the sound of a large diaphragm condenser mic but are on a semi-limited budget, I highly recommend checking out Michael Joly Engineering. He will modify mics you currently own or sell you new pre-modified mics.

For example, I found a used Rode NT1-A only a few blocks from my place in Chicago via Craig's List for $115. I walked over; bought it; and then shipped it off to Mr. Joly. He modified it to make it emulate a Neumann U87, and it's STELLAR. I use real (and sometimes vintage) 87s whenever I produce or record artists in a newer but well-known Chicago studio, and I really have a hard time telling the difference between a real U87 and my modded NT1-A. The real one seems to have a bit more warmth and "sparkle" to it, but it's minimal, almost to the point of being irrelevant. Granted, the modification cost twice as much as I spent on the mic, but now I have the sound of a U87 in my home studio for 1/10th the cost of a real one (if purchased new. It was first released in '67 as a solid-state alternative to the 67; I'm fairly certain a late '60's or '70's model would cost more than a new one as is definitely the case with early-era 47s & 67s).

If I were you, I'd check out the Oktava Mods website and see what they offer. You'll get the best results (in terms of guaranteed quality & longevity) if you buy one of their new modified mics, but you'll save money if you buy a used one and ship it off to them for modification. I'm tellin' ya, Michael Joly is the SHIT.

Hope that helps a bit.

thanks very much to all for the thoughtful replies and numerous suggested alternatives.

from the sublime to the ridiculous, whatever happens next apparently i'm likely to be asking another "which mic" question within 18 months or so.

i was counting on you guys to cure me of the disease before it gets any worse. but no... you infected me with at least a dozen new symptoms.

thanks, actually!

so it turns out...

audio technica at2020 went on sale for $50 and i grabbed one of those. very pleased with the result so far. although getting my hands on the thing wasn't easy.

musicians friend showed it in stock on the Web site. i ordered, then got follow up e-mail saying it wasn't due in stock for another three weeks.

so i canceled and tried guitar center, figuring they own musicians friend and probably had the same price. GC Web site showed it in stock. i ordered. got the e-mail saying it won't be in for another three weeks.

reading another thread on a different topic someone mentioned they bought a nice mic from b&h photo. i've bought music gear from them in the past so figured i'd see if they had the at2020 at the $50 price.

they did. allegedly in stock. i ordered. they sent the mic in two days.

from now on i'm ordering all my gear from the b&h photo music store.

Back