Something better than AKG Perception 120?

cooljoebay

I made a post a couple years ago regarding my voice. Shortly afterwards I had to get out of recording for awhile. But have since gotten back into it. Anyway. With me being my biggest critic when it comes to singing and hearing myself. I am having some issues on mic selection. I have attached a short recording of my mediocre voice singing through an AKG Perception 120 running through a Tascam 1800 Audio Interface. I love the way the mic sounds while singing. But playback feels as though it emphasizes vocal resonance too much. Sort of like hearing the reed of a woodwind instrument vibrate. Am I over thinking on this one? Is it typical practice to find a mic that suits you? Or should I think more about my post recording methods? Namely EQ.

I took the advice of other posters and did some sweeping through the EQ range and attempted to cut down on the resonance. It does sound better to me. But MAN my voice really resonates. I can feel it vibrating my whole face when I sing! :eek:

Thanks!

Joe M

Attachments

• AMANDA.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
Hi there,
It's completely normal to look for, or find, a mic that you think best suits your voice but, having listened to the clip, I'm not sure there's a problem.

If you track with your voice in the cans it always sounds so much different on playback, and that can be really hard to get used to.
It's the same way for me when tracking acoustic guitar. Playback always sounds so wimpy but that's only because whilst tracking I was hearing the playback and the bleed through of the real thing.

Could that be throwing you?

I really thought the clip sounded great.

You may want to move up to an LDC, the 120 is a medium/small diaphragm. But this does not sound bad at all, maybe lacking a little 'air' - there's a lot of high end stuff going on with the guitars.

Back