Some things to think about when choosing mics.

I think the KSM44...mostly since Ive had most of the others...and I had heard the KSM44 and the KSM32 in a shootout with the u87.

All are solid mics...with the u87 kinda more of a mic you dont want layered on too many tracks...the other 3 are better about that.

There have been many many tracks and even albums that didn't use much other than a U87 . . . or maybe a U87 and a U67 . . . ;)

Sure, you could do an entire album with KSMs, or ATs. That is kinda of Harvey's point, if you have decent mic (especially a good multipattern mic), and you know what you are doing, you can do anything with it.

That is kinda of Harvey's point, if you have decent mic (especially a good multipattern mic), and you know what you are doing, you can do anything with it.
Yes, that's exactly my point. Apparently, my communication skills have diminished recently, at least with a lot of the newer HR members here. A lot of this stuff is mostly made up of shades of gray; not just black or white.

This thread ties in with the "better and best" thread. Almost all the mics I've mentioned will do a fine job of recording whatever you point them at. Are they the "best" mic for the job? Maybe not, but they'll work well, if used correctly.

A lot of people here (and at other forums) obsess over buying and modifying equipment, thinking that is the only answer to better recordings. It's not. Attention to detail, placement, and wringing out every bit of performance from what you already own will improve your recordings just as much, if not more.

If this sounds like heresy, so be it. Really learn to use what you already own - before lusting for even more stuff. You might just be surprised at the results.

You prefer Shure over AT for that reason of multi layering ?

I do like shure over most of the neumanns...mics with character do what they do well...but they are difficult to deal with during mixing...I like my AT4047 but its the same way...its what you want on vocals...even for the hard people to match with a mic...but after about 8 tracks its problematic.

I do like what Ive heard of the TLM102...it seems to be an answer to the KSM32...which is one of the best mics out for almost any source.

On the one mic front here...I once heard Alan Parsons say he has done some good stuff using just a couple of SM57s.
Which is fine for those recording themselves...but its no way to run a business.

Well the recording went great all acoustic instruments done with 414's at different positions and polar patterns.
But when it came to her vocals it just wasn't happening for us at any position even off axis ....so.... and Wayne will like this one ....we used a KSM 32 and there was the magic!
But I can certainly see if it was someone else's voice maybe the whole recording could have been accomplished with the same model microphone.

THANK YOU HARVEY:cool:

It sounds like you need to find the vocalists mic first to really make this concept work...I have heard some girls make the C414 shine...but it depends on which version of the C414 you are using.

Sorry to be such a noob, but is there a difference between a DIAPHRAM CONDENSER MIC, and just a regular CONDENSER mic? Also, I'm on a tight budget and should get a better mic off ebay soon, but only have around $50 to spend, can anyone recommend a good mic for me?

THANKS! :D

Sorry to be such a noob, but is there a difference between a DIAPHRAM CONDENSER MIC, and just a regular CONDENSER mic? Also, I'm on a tight budget and should get a better mic off ebay soon, but only have around $50 to spend, can anyone recommend a good mic for me?
All condenser mics have a diaphragm. You're confusing large diaphragm condenser mics and small diaphragm condenser mics. Large diaphragm condenser mics tend to be more popular for vocals. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing the intended use of the mic.

"Some things to think about when choosing mics."

Here is one thing (not the only thing) to think about when buying a new mic. Some mics are designed for a specific job. For instance a Sennheiser e602 was designed for kick drum. Now that doesn't mean you can't try it on other things but its more of a one trick pony. Other mics are real workhorses in the studio. An SM57 or a C414 are great examples of mics that can be used on a vast number of different things. So when I am looking to buy a new mic i ask myself if i am buying it for a specific job or if i want something that is more flexible.

Back