Some kind of rustle sound problems with my Rode videomic go

fiko

Hi,

I just bought a rode videomic go microphone for my jvc gz-ex515.
When i move with the camera or when there is wind i hear a very
annoying sound. Kind of rustling. I also tried the deadcat go windcap
for it but it didnt help.

I made also a video so you guys can hear it well:

The wind noise is fairly obvious.

The crackling noise sounds like a signal is peaking.

This may be a function of the audio settings in the camera. Instead of its Automatic Gain Control (or whatever it is using), you may need to go in and change it to manual and reduce the input level.

The wind noise is fairly obvious.

The crackling noise sounds like a signal is peaking.

This may be a function of the audio settings in the camera. Instead of its Automatic Gain Control (or whatever it is using), you may need to go in and change it to manual and reduce the input level.

Hello, thanks for your post. I dont have really much experience with camcorders, this is my first one. The mic level settings is now on +0

I can change it to:
+2
+1
+0

Which one do i have to choose?

Try -2

Does the mike have any settings you can adjust. Maybe it has a pad you can switch. I have a Rode SVM video mike that has a 10db pad switch.

Try -2

Does the mike have any settings you can adjust. Maybe it has a pad you can switch. I have a Rode SVM video mike that has a 10db pad switch.

I tried -1 and -2. Both didnt help. Really when there is a bit of wind you hear that crackling alot pff..

I can only change the mic input levels in settings. Rather than that there isnt much. Besides this there is k2 technology. I turned off but it didnt help either.

Which model mike do you have? There are variations.

Have you tried without the mike, and do you get them same with the internal mike?

Which model mike do you have? There are variations.

Have you tried without the mike, and do you get them same with the internal mike?

I just tried without without the Rode microphone. You can hear obviously the wind noise but there is absolute no crackling in it.

I have the Rode Videomic GO. This one: RØDE VideoMic GO

To me it sounds like two problems. First, the low frequency wind noise which should be significantly reduced by the dead cat... and a second problem that to me sounds like a bad connection causing the static. I think I've also heard similar sounds from low batteries powering shotgun mics ... the power supply for the mic is weird... I've never heard of "2.5V 'plug in power'" your camera may not supply that. Infact looking a bit deeper this mic has a compatibility list which your camera is not on.

"The VideoMic GO is compatible with the Nikon D4, D800, D600, D7100, D5200, D5100, D3200, Coolpix A, P7800, Nikon1 V2. It is also compatible with the Canon T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, 60D, 70D, 7D, 6D, 5D Mk II, and 5D Mk III." from Rode VideoMic GO On-Camera Shotgun Microphone VIDEOMIC-GO B&H

I would suggest returning it.

To me it sounds like two problems. First, the low frequency wind noise which should be significantly reduced by the dead cat... and a second problem that to me sounds like a bad connection causing the static. I think I've also heard similar sounds from low batteries powering shotgun mics ... the power supply for the mic is weird... I've never heard of "2.5V 'plug in power'" your camera may not supply that. Infact looking a bit deeper this mic has a compatibility list which your camera is not on.

"The VideoMic GO is compatible with the Nikon D4, D800, D600, D7100, D5200, D5100, D3200, Coolpix A, P7800, Nikon1 V2. It is also compatible with the Canon T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, 60D, 70D, 7D, 6D, 5D Mk II, and 5D Mk III." from Rode VideoMic GO On-Camera Shotgun Microphone VIDEOMIC-GO B&H

I would suggest returning it.

I did return and ordered same one but from another place but still have exactly the same problem. Pff..

We tried the mic also on the Sony HXR-MC1500 HD Camcorder PAL. Same issue. When i use the microphone
of the sony on my jvc camcorder, i dont have that problem.

So maybe you are right what you saying. I think i have to buy i mic with battery on it.

Hi all,

So i tested now all the rode videomic microphones on my JVC EVERIO GZ-EX515. From Videomic Go to Videomic Pro. All of them produced crackling / clipping when wind hit slightly the red marked place on the picture i just placed below. Also when i blow a bit on it, it produce crackling. If i plug the rode videomic pro in my pc and blow on it, you dont hear any crackling. Really weird.

m8pnw9.jpg

Does somebody have a theory about this? Why it is crackling on my camcorder and not on my pc or a dslr camera?

Attachments

• m8pnw9.jpg
    m8pnw9.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 81
He joined in December 2014, hung about a day or two then vanished!

The problem is that mics of this kind are by design, very susceptible to wind noise - they have lots of slots through which wind can get in. A foam windshield, like the ones they come with, simply can't cope in a light breeze outside. You need proper wind control, and this is heavy and doesn't really work on these camera mics. Video pro's hate camera mounted short shotguns like these. The other issue is that unless your camera has a knob to control the level, the blasts will go over the top and distort nastily. Auto gain makes it worse, a limiter helps a little.

They're a kind of compromise product, where you cannot have external mics and a person to work them, and need to be compact and self contained. In return they provide average audio in still air. That's pretty much it.

I had the exact same problem what i did to fix it was to cover up the holes in the back of the mic, and now i can shake the camera like a mad man and still no crackling noise just wind. IMG_20160130_075507.jpgIMG_20160130_075522.jpg

I had the exact same problem what i did to fix it was to cover up the holes in the back of the mic, and now i can shake the camera like a mad man and still no crackling noise just wind.

Covering up the holes is an interesting solution. However, those holes are there not without reason . . . they help shape the pick-up pattern of the mike.

Back