Some advice

Raticus

Beatz for the Streetz
I am new to this forum, and I have found it to be a breathe of fresh air... From the few posts I have read I sense a high level of experience and expertise..

Here is my situation:

I currently am working with Nuendo with the US-428 and the Echo Layla 20. I have completed an album about two months ago and let people hear it... I first let just general Hip Hop Fans listen and I got rave reviews. I then took to a studio I use to work at to get some of the engineers and producer opinions.. I got good reviews on the production (instrumentals) but sub par reviews on the vocals... (Thinny and lack of presence)

You may sample some of this at http://mp3.com/blak (Please take a listen to get a clear idea of my problem)

I currently record my vocals with a Marshall MXL 1006 into Art Tube MP to Alesis Nano Compressor which then goes into the US-428 analog input. I am considering up grading my Microphone chain to ...

Marshall MXL 1006 - stays
Avalon M5 - Replaces Art MP
Apogee Digital Rossetta A/D - Replaces the a/d in the US-428

With this set up I will be going into the US-428 SPDIF in.
What kind of results should I expect? How professional will my vocals become with this investment?

Thanks for your time...

Raticus

First of all I'd suggest you to remove that Nanocomp from the signalchain, there are plenty of great software plug-ins. I think you can acheive VERY good results with what you have (tho I have no experience whatsoever with the marshall-mic). I'd also look into alternatives to the marshall-mic now that there's actually plenty of cheap microphones around with very good reputation. Studio Projects C1 (and B1 just around the corner), Marshall V67, Oktava MC319, Rode NT-1000 to name a few.

Thanks for the reply Mesh
Question how much better is the C1 Microphone than the Marshall MXL 1006 wouldn't you say they are in the same class ?

I am going to check the spec on this mic and see....

Thanks again

I can't say which one's better. My point is that it's good to have an alternative. Some voices just don't go along with some mics.

If you use the searchfunction, you'll find samples from people using different microphones. There's also plenty of information about the C1 around here... Take some time and look around this forum, and I'm certain that you'll find heaps of useful info.

I have just read several reviews on the C1 and some are saying it ranks with the Neuman u87...

So now if re think my plan I will replace the
Marshall with the C1
But in your opinion would you leave the

Art Pre Amp

and get the Apogee Rossette for a/d converison

or would you get the

Avalon M5 and rely on the a/d in the Us-428 ?

Raticus

First of all I'd try Mic -> Preamp -> Soundcard. It's certainly possible to get good results with this setup.

Just make sure you know the full potential of your current gear before you dish out cash on new equipment.

AS for the Avalon, its one channel for $1500, I think you are spending too much. Get a two channel Great River for the same price, or maybe 2 channels of API 212 in a 4 space rack, or an Amek/Neve 9098 dual mic pre with MS for the same price. Maybe a Vintech pre, they are only $1300 for 2 channel. Be smart about costs here, get more for your money, and maybe even better for your money.
As for conversion, 24 bit is the standard right now, you might wanna catch up, but be careful about picking cheapo soundcards. The Apogee will do you a fine job, but personally I would get the Lucid ad9624 before the Apogee even if it DIDNT cost less, and Probably if it costed more. You are moving in the right direction. If I recall prices correctly, you can get the Lucid AD and the now lower priced Lucid Genx-6 as a combo for the same price as the entire Apogee unit. WAY better deal if thats the case. WAY better.

With the avalon M5 I thought I was paying for the quality.. And I only need one channel don't for see needing a 2nd one... I thought the Avalon M5 would have a clear difference in sound than others....

The US 428 records 24 bit that is what I will be recording vocals with... Layla 20 is for the transfer from my Akai s2000 which is 16 bit so the Layla 20 will suffice for that I think...

do U think that I should bypass the a/d in the US-428? Do you think the Lucid or apogee will make a big difference?

If you had your choice would invest in the High end Pre Amp (Avalon M5) or the High end a/d ( Lucid/Apogee)?

Oh Alan the link isn't working if you find the correct one I would luv to read it...

Thanks for your input....

There is no choice between the two, both are neccessary, IMO. Heres your way out.
Buy a single channel of high grade mic pre, since thats all you want for some strange reason, like a single API and rackmount (used if possible, save money) or perhaps a Brent Averill API racked, or a neve racked by Brent, and also get the Lucid. Forget about the Apogee for good. Never utter that again, no need.
Then, you have both, and you are happy. Nuff said.

Despite Alan's admirable amount of restraint (he owns Studio Projects!), it's a good time to mention that he has a widely
anticipated mic pre coming out, the VT-1.

It's reasonable to assume that any Studio Projects mike works especially well with it! I bet Alan can brief us on it without sounding like an infomercial! (when he gets a chance)

P.S. I'd replace the Nanocompressor with a Fmr. Audio RNC
compressor, you can get one at www.mercenaryaudio.com

Thanks Chess, but I am a bit gun shy right now, but the TV promo is being taped right now. :D

Only kidding, the RNC is a good compressor, and he is coming out with a mic pre as well. I understand his will be a good deal more than mine, but I do not know what features he will have.

The VT-1 has them all, mic/line, hi-pass, 48V, phase reverse, DI input, Tube blend, impedance switching betweem 50 and 200 ohms, insert point, dual output in both 1/4" and XLR...both are balanced, and more.

The front end is very clean and the chassis is solid steel. I think FMR is still going to be housed in plastic, but I am not sure. I suspect his will nice, but we will see in the end, because the VT-1 is very good indeed, and has already been compared to more expensive units by the beta testers, so hang tight, we are 8 weeks away.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Thanks Gents... You have really been helpful :)

Tube - i' m going to look into the Neve pre Amp and the Lucid for sure and see what they are offering for the price...

Raticus..

Hmm.... Same size cabinet, both metal-they're the same damn thing!

Seriously, after upgrading my recording system down the road next year,
I plan to check out the VT-1, especially with my C1.
My assumption is that having the option of increasing/decreasing the
amount of "tube tone", allows for more flexibility of use with each mike.

Back