Software?

Try both. If you have them you will soon discover which you like working with best.
Personally i'd go with Cubase full version. I'm guessing it will do more than the free version of PT you got with the interface.
Welcome to the forum :)

I've found that software comes down to whatever you feel most comfortable with. As long as it does what you need it to do, the name really shouldn't matter a lot. You will see a lot of people that will always point to ProTools like it has some special powers. In reality, if you know what you are doing, it shouldn't matter much what software you are using. Personally I was trained on ProTools so it seems natural for me to use it. However, I got a MOTU 896HD interface and now I've been using Audiodesk software. They all essentially do the same thing. I'd say ProTools probably has a bit of a higher learning curve.

It boils down to what suits your workflow best and since you're new to the game, you'll have to pay around a while to even figure out what you workflow is like.give them both a try for a while. You'll soon find that one feels more intuitive to you than the other.

I think you'll find that the PT Essentials is VERY stripped down--more of an incentive to get you to buy the full version rather than a fully workable DAW. By all means try it but, unless you fall in love with the interface and decide the spend the money on "real" PT, you'll likely be better off with your existing Cubase (particularly if you already know the software).

Personally, despite using it for many years at work, I never came to actually like PT, only tolerate it. However, the choice of a UI and workflow pattern is a very personal thing so by all means experiment.

I have protools MP9 which is almost the full version but limited to 48 tracks, and i cant gel with it at all...apart from the fact that 48 tracks are too little for me...but theres smething that draws me to learn it and i know im going to shell out for the full version sometime

Dunno why im sharing this :D

Back