so what's up with t.bone mics?

OneRoomStudios

I was just looking at the t.bone mics people have mentioned over at Thomann, and they have a crazy selection of mics that are at too-good-to-be-true prices;

check it out

I know, "If it looks too good to be true..." but I think I remember reading somewhere that t.bone mics are made by the same Chinese manufacturers as some of the "well known" Chinese mics, and are just re-labeled and sold direct by the manufacturer. In another thread someone mentioned some of them being copies of SE mics, and the ribbon mic looks exactly the same as the Nady ribbon. If they are just cheaper, "generic-brand" versions of these other Chinese mics, it's be pretty awesome. If anyone has any info, it would rock, thanks

Peter

Like any manufacturer the chineese plants can produce using a wide variety of different cost/quality of components and manufacturing tolerances and quality control. So just because they came from the same factory does not mean they are the same mic, even if they use the same body and grille and thus look exactly alike.

Does this mean that the more expensive mic is allways worth it? A big factor of the price is whether the mic manufacturer has taken a high volume/low price strategy and which channels they sell through. For example the MXL 900 serries of mics are available only through Musician's Friend. MF makes large bulk purchases, gets a low price, and then sells them low margin. But you can't go to your local store and audition them.

I suspect that the same thing goes with these t.bone mics. I can't find any other source on the net for them. I suspect that the company is importing them directly from the factory in containerload quantities and no middleman.

I have mentioned similarities - I didn't mean they were copies of SE mics but that SE and T-Bone seemed to come from FEILO in China. There's one SDC, I think it's the ADK SC-1 that is also the SE Electronics SE1 and a T-Bone one, not to mentioned being an XXL and Red5 too!

Thomann used to specifically declare that the mics were made by SE but have stopped doing so, the frequency and polar plots are only available for a couple of the more expensive models.

I'm planning the SC100 II stereoset when the band puts in its next order. When they arrive I'll be promptly dismantling, photographing and if necessary modding them, I'll post pictures. It's a pretty phenomenal deal if they're any good, 2xsdcs with pad and roll off, 2xshockmounts, stereo bar, and a nice box to top it off. If they're useless I'll offload them on the guitarist :D

Anyone ever bought a T.bone mic?, I was always curious what the drum mic sets would sound like for under E80 :rolleyes:

- Idgeit

someone i know has one of these mics, and says it a very nice mic in all-round situations. Im not sure on the exact model but it is about £100 worth.
Looked nice too!!

There's no question that a few of those mics are identical to SE's (I have them...SE2200 and SE5000 tube)...good chance that they were sourced by the same supplier that made SE mics before SE set up their own manufacturing facility...the bigger question concerns the circuitry...but definately worth a look (if you're in Europe)...curious about the quality though...

Yeh i have a t-bone mic. Its a large back electret mic which i got new on ebay uk. i think it sounds great for vocals. also use it for acoustic guitars and iv used it to live record a drum kit with just this mic on its own. it sounded pretty nice.

vintagetobes said:
Yeh i have a t-bone mic. Its a large back electret mic which i got new on ebay uk. i think it sounds great for vocals. also use it for acoustic guitars and iv used it to live record a drum kit with just this mic on its own. it sounded pretty nice.

What model did you get?

PhilGood said:
Can't get 'em in the US. :(

Where are you looking?, Will Thomann not send to the US?

- Idgeit

the model is: SC-300
please tell me if you find a place to buy these mics not on ebay. i will deffinatly get some more in their range. thanks

annnnnyone know what these go for in the US? some very interesting models, I gottaaa say... drool... (why do I drool over cheap mics? cause I could actually get them)

Back