Small Budget Items

Snowman999

I'm throwing this out there for people who truly have little to no money to buy equipment.

I recorded for years with Don Casale, who engineered all the greats from the 60s and 70s. While he didn't get credit, he was engineer for Iron Butterfly's InAGaddaDaVida. He had the gold record in his Long Island Studio I used to record at.

He knows I'm always broke. When I got Pro Tools I asked his advice on acoustic guitar mics. He told me about the -

ART Tube MP it's a preamp processor. ($50) and the Icon Dynamic Mic from Icondigitalusa. ($25 - $50).

He says if he'd had these back when he had his studio, he'd have used them for acoustic guitar and some vocals.

If you have no money, this might be something to look in to.

I've had a Tube MP for years (got it for bass) and it's never been out of the box. Right after I got it I got some better gear, but I kept it to try on bass because you never know.

TubeMP certainly isn't going to do anything special and ultimately isn't better than the built in mic pre on most interfaces nowadays. They can be handy units to have around, but if your budget is that low, and you've already got both an XLR and a 1/4" hole on your interface, that money would be better spent elsewhere.

Back