SM7B Vs AT 4040

Dougie Sequeira

Hey, guys.

Now, I know there is a post like this already on here, but that post states that the room that the mics would be used in was not treated, therefore the SM7B being a dynamic mic would work better by not picking up background noise. My question is, if I got a vocal isolation shield would the 4040 be better or just as good as the SM7B?

Thanks.

Hi Dougie,
It's not that the SM7B picks up less room noise. It's more that it's a dynamic mic and, by design, harder to anger.
The closer you can get to any mic, the less the room ambience or background noise is going to be heard.

If, for example, you had a very gentle delicate singing style and a normal pop filter, you probably wouldn't hear much difference in background noise/room ambience between the two microphones because you'd be able to get just as close to each of them.

As far as which is better....?
In ideal environments, neither. They're just two different microphones.

Is room noise or ambience an issue for you right now?

Okay, what do you mean by harder to anger?

I'm wanting to turn my closet into a vocal booth, but I don't want to drop $300 + on isolation pads so I'm just gonna get an isolation shield.

So which one? This is my first mic also.

Okay, what do you mean by harder to anger?

It's more forgiving with air blasts, handling, etc.

I'm wanting to turn my closet into a vocal booth, but I don't want to drop $300 + on isolation pads so I'm just gonna get an isolation shield.

So which one? This is my first mic also.

You didn't tell me anything about your room so I can't really answer that.
Is it particularly bad sounding or noisy?

My own thought is get the AT4040 (any particular reason for picking this mic?) and then see how the room sounds when recording and go from there as to what you think may be needed to treat the room or not. Hold off on the isolation shield. My own room is not treated in any way (maybe it should be), but I can't really hear anything that I would call detracting in the way of a "room" sound when using a condenser mic, other than a quartz clock on the wall during quiet moments. I do have an SM7b and for most vocals I do, I prefer a condenser, at least with my voice.
Something to consider with the SM7b, is that it likes a preamp or interface with lots of good clean gain. I ended up getting an inline preamp to boost the low output of the SM7b.

I have an AT4040. I do not recommend it. It's just never really worked out to make magic. Has no intangibles. I really don't know what it is this microphone does so exceedingly well or why it is still on the market.

I used it most recently as a drum overhead. I actually thought it was OK in that application but it was blended with a KM184 so whatever it lacked in highs was made up for by the Neumann.

Oh, ok. I'd just pick a mic based on clips or reviews, then work out what the room needs afterwards.
It's going to be a guessing game and learning curve no matter what you do, really. :)

I listened to discussions about SM7 v RE20 and RE320 last year and ended up with a 320. Mainly because it was recommended as OK for speech and also kick drum. I tried it on a live gig on kick, and went back to my old mic next gig. I tried it on vocals and it doesn't suit singing at all, it is very good for speech, simply because it's directional, and distance isn't that important as the tone of the mic stays the same. If you want to sing, then get a singers mic, set the distance with a popper stopper, and have a nice sounding mic. The physical size of these mics also means they don't fit in the popular room controlling housings and you sound like an AM radio presenter! Worst investment I've ever made. Mine is a fine microphone, but just not good for vocals, as the sound is not 'right'.

I listened to discussions about SM7 v RE20 and RE320 last year and ended up with a 320. Mainly because it was recommended as OK for speech and also kick drum. I tried it on a live gig on kick, and went back to my old mic next gig. I tried it on vocals and it doesn't suit singing at all, it is very good for speech, simply because it's directional, and distance isn't that important as the tone of the mic stays the same. If you want to sing, then get a singers mic, set the distance with a popper stopper, and have a nice sounding mic. The physical size of these mics also means they don't fit in the popular room controlling housings and you sound like an AM radio presenter! Worst investment I've ever made. Mine is a fine microphone, but just not good for vocals, as the sound is not 'right'.

I have an RE20. I have never used it on vocals. I love it on guitar amps though. It has a nice full detailed tone that - to my ear - brings the vintage personality aspect. I used it on a bass amp for my most recent project as well - with good results. I have heard people say it is good on kick drum but I did a comparison with an Audix D6 going in through an RNP. I preferred the D6 on kick.

I bought an AT4040 last month for vocals. The one track I did with them came out with more energy in the upper mids and they were a pain to contain in the track, but I'm very pleased with the final result. With my previous mic, I had a lot of high/presence information..so it was hard to boost the track for air since that vocal track made it hissy/harsh. With the AT4040, I was able to get a nice top end boost across my track, or even just my vocal bus if i did it that way. It's a darker mic, from what I've experienced so far.

Oh, ok. I'd just pick a mic based on clips or reviews, then work out what the room needs afterwards.
It's going to be a guessing game and learning curve no matter what you do, really. :)

Thats what I was thinking....for the room the basic clap test can be muffled out easily, even moving blankets etc can help.

I have the SM7, for a tight budget many nice vocals are cut on SM58...but a SM7 is a great mic thats given.
Both are tough as hell and a great place to start and will work a long time.

The 4033 is probably nice sounding, but for starters you can get some nice condensers for cheaper to see if you like the condensers. Its nice having both.

I been wondering what the RE20 sounds like, read McCartney used it on vocals on Ram and its specs are more SM7 ish...with really low mV/pa numbers....

The SM7/SM58 are lower output so a lot of new users find the gain being full blast then that causes hsssing noise etc in the cheaper preamps.... where the 4033 probably has 15+mV/pa and the interface preamps can work more centered/12oclock which is nice.

Make a vocal booth if your doing the Condensers would be my suggestion and get the computer fans and noises dealt with because the more sensitive condensers seem to magnify everything. I found my 57 vs SM7 similar, Ive had the SM7 for years now and love its rugged build and good sound, but also have about 6 sm57 for stuff and backup vocals use Sm57, live or recording louder stuff.....I use the condenser for more quiet music, more acoustic...

this is one of my favorite mic clips on youtube......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imV3gkGwamo

Attachments

• RE20 Mac.png
    RE20 Mac.png
    498 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back