sm7b male vocal chain

cbsc

Hi everyone,

I just got this mic and like it, but I'm running it into a Fast Track Pro,
which probably has weak preamps because the signal is low.
I am thinking I need a preamp? But I'm not sure how to match impedience and
all that. I'm considering: Tampa, Grace 101, Great River ME-1nv, blue robbie tube, RNP & RNC, but I'm not sure if I really need one of these since I can boost the signal in a daw. Since it's a dynamic mic, do I want a tube to balance it? I think I need to deal with the gain and compression issues. I'm still pretty new to all this and would appreciate your opinions on how to get a more quality vocal track.

Thank you, cbsc

Current chain: sm7b > fast track pro > Dell Laptop, Sound Forge 4.5, Audacity
For rock/pop vocals

cbsc said:
Hi everyone,

I just got this mic and like it, but I'm running it into a Fast Track Pro,
which probably has weak preamps because the signal is low.
I am thinking I need a preamp? But I'm not sure how to match impedience and
all that. I'm considering: Tampa, Grace 101, Great River ME-1nv, blue robbie tube, RNP & RNC, but I'm not sure if I really need one of these since I can boost the signal in a daw. Since it's a dynamic mic, do I want a tube to balance it? I think I need to deal with the gain and compression issues. I'm still pretty new to all this and would appreciate your opinions on how to get a more quality vocal track.

Thank you, cbsc

Current chain: sm7b > fast track pro > Dell Laptop, Sound Forge 4.5, Audacity
For rock/pop vocals

I had the same issue with my SM7. I now run it through a RNP with a RNC or RNLA inserted. When I am doing vocals I have to crank the gain almost all the way up to get a suitable signal.

I think you want a pre that will allow you to get a good loud signal heading into your computer. That will likely yeild better results than cranking a weak signal using software.

For me, the RNP has been everything I need. I have 3 of them now and do not look to buy any other type of pre.

Hope this helps.

Jim

recommendations I've heard for the sm-7

A Presonus RP-20, because the input transformer sounds particularly good with dynamics, the sm-7 specifically.

The RNP, but the gain was kind of close to being maxed out.

A Grace, for clean gain, but maybe too clean for the application.

A SafeSound somethingorother. :o I think Sonic Albert was one of those suggesting it, so maybe he could help.

A Great River if you've got the bucks for it. (I don't).

I plan on getting an SM7 soon, and using it with my DMP3. I don't know if it'll cut it or not, as there is some serious disagreement about the requirements of this mic. But if the DMP3 doesn't have enough gain, I've been told in another thread I started that you can daisy-chain preamps, so theoretically, I can run the clean output of one channel of my DMP3 into the other channel to give it a little boost. Now, that's not to say that the DMP3 wil give the best sound, i.e. 'character', but it should work clean gain-wise. I also have a Brick, which may or may not sound good, and may or may not have enough gain by itself. So if it sounds good, but not enough gain, I'll try running that into the DMP3. If it doesn't sound good in any circumstance, then I'll have to punt. Probably have to start shopping for a new pre then.

thanks guys

Jim-- it does help.

notCardio-- vocals styles include hard rock, pop, and folk or singer/songerwriter.

Thank you for the responses-- I will look into what you guys said.

Ideally, for vocals you need something that will give you clean gain in at least the 60db range. The RNP runs up to 66 db, but it does get a bit noisier at the top. 60db will work for "regular" vocals, but may be inadequate if they are whispered or are not close miced. You can get a bit more gain if you couple an RNC or RNLA with it. I like to use my API 512c (65db) or A-Designs P-1 (70db) with mine.

I think I've narrowed it down to two options

pohaku-- doesn't FMR make a preamp/compressor all in one unit? (that would be nice). Since I hear the sm7 needs "clean" gain, then maybe the Grace 101 would work well, though the gain stops at 60db... I don't plan on doing a lot of whisper tracks... so I think I am either going to go with the FMR pre&comp or the grace 101.

I'm excited to finally get a quality vocal track going!
cbsc

No. FMR makes the RNP 2 channel preamp and makes the RNC compressor and the RNLA comp/limiter. The RNC and RNLA are stereo units but not dual mono units. You can best use them with the RNP by plugging them into the inserts in the RNP. You get 15db of makeup gain by using the RNC or RNLA which may help if you really need it. The FMR units are not combined preamp/compressor units. On the other hand used RNCs are pretty cheap these days ($125 or so) and there are lots of them around. I think someone over on the Gearslutz board was looking to unload a used RNP and RNC. I've not used the Grace so I can't help you with that. I do own an RNP and a couple RNCs and I think for straight ahead rock vocals, they work just fine at 60db (the RNP goes up to 66db) - maybe less if you are loud. You are also getting 2 channels with the RNP while you would only get one channel with the Grace. If you also get the RNC or RNLA, you can turn down the RNP a bit and add more gain there as well.

I remember being told

that Grace makes another version of the 101 that puts out 70db. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that.

BTW, the one Sonic Albert recommended was the DAV BG-1, I belive.

Oh, Sonic Albert, where art thou? :confused:

A dmp3 should kick out plenty of clean gain.

The INA163 preamp chip in it holds up particularly well -- and exhibits low distortion specs -- at very high gain settings. The same applies for the Grace Design, as it uses much of the same basic components.

The Rane MS1B would be a very good choice, although the low bass tends to roll off more at higher gain for some reason ... which is usually fine for vocals anyway I suppose.

...gain yes, but "clean" gain, I'm not so sure...if you research the BB sites like Gearslutz, you'll see that many SM7 fans choose more "coloured" preamps as their favorite (particularly the Neve 1073)...personally I like the SM7 best with my Neve 1290 (same as the 1073 without the EQ)...there's something about running the SM7 thru "iron" (transformers) that really brings out it's character...

...now, I'm not suggesting you go out and grab yourself a Neve, but as mentioned in a previous post, a transformer based pre might be the better option...maybe the Chameleon Labs or another more affordable transformer-based option (like the Presonus MP20 with Jensen trannies)...

...I have used the SM7 with my Rane MS1-B and it works fine...I've also used it with my Amek (very clean, almost sterile sounding) and the SM7 holds up well...but plug that baby into the Neve and it really roars...very richly textured...like old-school R&B from the 60's...yeah, that's the ticket!... ;)

I just got a Safe Sound P1, which supposedly delivers 70 db of clean gain by means of a Burr Brown INA217. It also has well regarded compressor, expander and limiter sections, which are the main reason I got it if you're looking for an all in one kind of deal.
I love my Chameleon Labs 7602 on a variety of sources as well.

Chessrock speaks sooth in this case. I own an SM7B and a DMP3 and the combination works fine. It works better if you add an RNC to the chain. Even though you lose about 6db because the RNC is unbalanced, the RNC's makeup gain makes up the difference, which decreases the need to crank the DMP3 quite as much. The combo is not particularly noisy. I also use the SM7 with a Joemeek twinQ. Then you get the makeup gain of the compressor without having to use unbalanced operations. Unfortunately, the 3Q does not have makeup gain on the compressor.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Chessrock speaks sooth in this case. I own an SM7B and a DMP3 and the combination works fine. It works better if you add an RNC to the chain. Even though you lose about 6db because the RNC is unbalanced, the RNC's makeup gain makes up the difference, which decreases the need to crank the DMP3 quite as much. The combo is not particularly noisy. I also use the SM7 with a Joemeek twinQ. Then you get the makeup gain of the compressor without having to use unbalanced operations. Unfortunately, the 3Q does not have makeup gain on the compressor.-Richie

That's good to know since the DMP3 is a very popular pre on this Board and people are always asking if their pre (or about to be purchased pre) will be able to drive an SM7.

I have an AEA TRP, and will vouch for the gain coming out of its ears types of pres, sounds clean but FULL. Used with a shinybox 23 ribbon and a SM57. I have never used a SM7, but I can't imagine it sounding mismatched or bad with the TRP. If you want to add some mojo, add a ART PRO VLA, which has more color to its compression as far as I understand vs the RNC, but then it costs more too. Oh the cheapest that I could find the AEA TRP was at fullcompass.com (call for best price) and I got the VLA on ebay for $300 but it came with a MXL V67g....just stuff for you to think about.

Richard Monroe

So you're saying you use the compression when tracking vocals?

Is that all your vocals, or only certain types?

SRR said:
I have an AEA TRP, and will vouch for the gain coming out of its ears types of pres, sounds clean but FULL. Used with a shinybox 23 ribbon and a SM57. I have never used a SM7, but I can't imagine it sounding mismatched or bad with the TRP. If you want to add some mojo, add a ART PRO VLA, which has more color to its compression as far as I understand vs the RNC, but then it costs more too. Oh the cheapest that I could find the AEA TRP was at fullcompass.com (call for best price) and I got the VLA on ebay for $300 but it came with a MXL V67g....just stuff for you to think about.

Cool. I've been looking at that box. I assumed it would be good for low output dynamic mics like the SM7 as well as ribbons. I think it puts out about 83db of gain which should be more than enough for any conceivable use. It is designed by Fred Forssell who designed some of the Millennia Media products and now sells his own gear. Pretty good price for two channels as well. I'll have to give Full Compass a call. Might be my holiday gift to myself this year. I wonder if they will gift wrap it for me. :D

Back