SM7 and SM7B the same thing? Too similar to the RE20?

thehymns

Simple question: are the Shure SM7 and SM7B the same microphone? Also, is this mic too similar to the RE20 for vocal and electric guitar application to have both for a modest home studio?

Not shure, but according to the Shure site, the SM7 was discontinued in 1999 and the SM7A was discontinued in 2001.

yes...dorky pun intended. :rolleyes:

I dont know the differences between the A and B models and what not. But i do know that they dont sound similiar to an RE20 really at all. I think the RE20 is a little more open and the SM7 is a little more thicker. Or the RE20 is a little more neutral and the SM7 is colored.

But both can be used for close to the same purposes. I prefer the SM7 myself with what ive heard.

Danny

The sm7 and the re20 don't sound anything like each other, they are just used for the same applications. Kind of like the sm57 and the 421, both are great on guitar cabinets but they don't sound anything like each other.

One thing the RE-20's tone is rather consistent both off axis and as you move away from it. Those can be a handy features and fairly unique in a directional mic. This hit home for me on a live acoustic gig after years of me pigeon-holing them to just bass, kick and the occasional vocal. :rolleyes:
Wayne

"I think the RE20 is a little more open and the SM7 is a little more thicker."

this is a really good way to describe it, in my opinion. particularly when being used as a vocal mic - if the sm7 is too dense, the re20 will lighten the load and clear up the top.

remember, the PL20 is the same mic cheaper.

Mike

The difference is SM7, SM7a and SM7b lies in the bracket, which has seen some modifications. For all practical purposes (the sound) it's the same mic.

Back