SM58 vs. SM57

bump. Get over it. :)

Brilliant!!!

Actually, I'd pick the 58 because you can always take the grille off, but you can't add it on a 57. Its the shape of that grille that changes the sound, not the pop filtering. Just to disagree! ;) (and its what I did)
Nope. If you take off the 58's grill, it is not now a 57. If you take both grills off, then yeah they're they same.

Also, you can add a pop filter to a 57, effectively adding the 58's grill, more or less. In short, a 57 with a pop filter (or perhaps even without depending on the specifics) is a better vocal mic than a 58 is for most instrumentation, at least based on what I have learned. ie the 57 is the better overall mic for instrumentation AND vocals, esp if you're recording. But of course it's all subjective..

They are the same mic, the grill is the only difference. A 58 without the grill IS a 57.
Again, no. A 58 without its grill is the same as a 57...without its grill.

I've been doing some casual shopping, will need for mostly vocals but perhaps some instruementation, recording only, so it's a 57 for me.

bump. Get over it. :)

Nope. If you take off the 58's grill, it is not now a 57. If you take both grills off, then yeah they're they same.

Also, you can add a pop filter to a 57, effectively adding the 58's grill, more or less. In short, a 57 with a pop filter (or perhaps even without depending on the specifics) is a better vocal mic than a 58 is for most instrumentation, at least based on what I have learned. ie the 57 is the better overall mic for instrumentation AND vocals, esp if you're recording. But of course it's all subjective..

Again, no. A 58 without its grill is the same as a 57...without its grill.

I've been doing some casual shopping, will need for mostly vocals but perhaps some instruementation, recording only, so it's a 57 for me.
You just resurrected an argument from 5 years ago. Congratulations for winning "Necro-post of the Week"!

It seems Gregg couldn't find anything in a current thread that he could soundly thrash any misconceptions out of.... so he went back 5 years. Lol.

Ot should be a new game or something. "Find the Oldest thread you can and give a bump with a valid post of your own." Oldest thread wins!!! :D

Yeah, well his flag is. :( joey, you sneak! Stealing Gregg's profile pic n gittin me all confuzzled! ;) jk. My bad.

Please also note that in production there are some tolerances, then two SM58 can differ each other 1 or 2dB at some frequencies! Then, a 57 can sound brighter than a 58 but also than another 58!...
In an old catalogue, Sennheiser was publishing graphs with a +/-2dB mask...

Here is a trick for the Live Soundman on the $Poor & $Broke Econoline Van/Station-wagon Tour....
Take the Steel Mesh Microphone Grille off a SM58 and stick it in the Kick Drum.....give it a try someday, and go ahead and A/B with a SM57......you will hear a difference

That was really good - I have to say they stretched the claim of "two mics on the drums" by doing a close-mic'd sample of the snare and triggering it for the rest of the track, but it's still something anybody else could do with a basic DAW. You wouldn't need to be able to trigger either - just copy and paste the snare hits to their own track.

Neither are very expensive. Get some of both.
You're either far more heavily invested in making music than me or make lots more money. :) "Some" of both? This t'aint no orchestra setup I'm going for. It's just me.

One mic should be plenty. My only hesitation is guessing correct on whether I'll ever want to record an instrument on a mic or not.

Back