SM58 vs. SM57

wow! this guy hijacked a 7 year old dead thread!

anyway get a 57 and a pop filter if you are forced to choose between the two.

zed32 said:
wow! this guy hijacked a 7 year old dead thread!

anyway get a 57 and a pop filter if you are forced to choose between the two.

Brilliant!!!

Actually, I'd pick the 58 because you can always take the grille off, but you can't add it on a 57. Its the shape of that grille that changes the sound, not the pop filtering. Just to disagree! ;) (and its what I did)

ya i find it useless to post a thread when my question has already been answered or to the extent of. But i do plan on using this mic also to play live too and I dont see too many people using pop filters during a show. So what is quality like when you compare a sm58 (with no "grille) to a sm57?

zacanger said:
Way to bring up an old thread ;-). At least you probably used the search function.

Just think, you were 10 when this thread started, I was 20, man I wish I was 20 again.

oh gawwwdddd...just wait until Blue Bear finds out that this thread has been turned up again :eek:

ITs ALLIIVVEE

Wow, ten years.
I was eleven when you guys started talking about microphones.

I always assumed that the sm57 would do my guitar better justice than the 58 because of all the studios that I'd seen equipped with it.
:p
It looks like the 58 without the grille is the way to go. Should I use a double pop filter at least?

Wow, ten years.
I was eleven when you guys started talking about microphones.

I always assumed that the sm57 would do my guitar better justice than the 58 because of all the studios that I'd seen equipped with it.
:p
It looks like the 58 without the grille is the way to go. Should I use a double pop filter at least?

Here's a free hack you can use on the Chinese SM-57 / 58 copies to improve their sound.

after reading this thread, i think i'm going to go with the sm58 because i need a strictly vocal mic for studio recording at home

unless someone can suggest a better condenser mic at around the same price range?

after reading this thread, i think i'm going to go with the sm58 because i need a strictly vocal mic for studio recording at home

unless someone can suggest a better condenser mic at around the same price range?
An SM58 is a dynamic mic, not a condenser mic. Any condenser at this price will be a really cheap one. A 58 is a good mic because it does a reasonable job at just about everything, even though it might not be the first choice for a lot of things.

An SM58 is a dynamic mic, not a condenser mic. Any condenser at this price will be a really cheap one. A 58 is a good mic because it does a reasonable job at just about everything, even though it might not be the first choice for a lot of things.
i'm aware the sm58 isn't a condenser mic. i was just assuming that condenser mics costed a lot more so i was wondering if there was a condenser at this price range that is good; i guess not though

i also decided to go with the sm57 instead now from what i researched in other forums. a lot of comments saying the sm57 was better for studio vocal recording or it was just in their head

i'm aware the sm58 isn't a condenser mic. i was just assuming that condenser mics costed a lot more so i was wondering if there was a condenser at this price range that is good; i guess not though

i also decided to go with the sm57 instead now from what i researched in other forums. a lot of comments saying the sm57 was better for studio vocal recording or it was just in their head

Try checking out the MXL V67a they are just about the same price.

:cool:

Back