SM58 Issue

I recently purchased a Shure SM58 Microphone and a U-PHORIA UMC22 USB Interface from a known professional retailer and connected the mic via XLR cable. I've been testing it out and the only way I can get a signal is if the gain is set to 80% or higher. Could someone help me out?

After doing some research on your problem, I need to change my answer to my previous post. I apologize for any undo expectations my answer may have given you. This is what I think your problem is and I wish I would have given you this advice to begin with. First of all your Interface is powered by your USB port and if I am not mistaken, it does not have the gain needed to work with most dynamic mics.

I make this assumption from reading over 50 reviews for the UMC22. Now with that being said, 99.9% of the reviews were very positive but they all involved using Condenser mics. This is probably why you have to go to 80% to just get a signal. I am confident that if you were able to explain your situation from the people you purchased the 58 from and went with a nice condenser for the same price, your UMC22 will go above and beyond depending on your specific needs. Again, I apologize for my previous post concerning your issue.

Back