SM58 or AT 2020 for vocals

Seaweed

Hello! Brand new here, and in need of some help. I'm sorry if I could find this answer somewhere else, but I've spent a couple of days looking for answers now.

I'm attempting to learn how to sing properly as it has been a lifelong dream of mine, and have aspirations of becoming a voice actor in the future, which puts me in need of some equipment to record sound somewhat accurately. Quite low budget for now.
I will be doing this in an untreated room, at least at first. So far I've been considering Fast Track or Fast Track Pro for audio interface, incase that helps.

The only microphones I have seen mentioned around here that I can seem to find to an affordable price is SM58, and AT 2020.

Which do you guys think would be better?

The 2020 by a mile, but I'd probably suggest saving up a bit longer and going for an LDC instead. For example, a CAD M179 should run you about twice what a 2020 costs, give or take.

+1 AT2020 between those two IMHO, without you shooting out each one in person. The 2020 has a generally good rep FWIW among pro VO folks who've used it.

A SM58 (or 57) can sound REALLY good on some singers. But even then you usually need to compress/EQ the vocal more extensively than using a nice condensor,
like the 2020. Also a SM58 can sound less smooth/harsh through a non-premium (read budget) mic pre or mixer. Versus something like a Focusrite ISA One or UA 710. Along with all this, the 2020 has a more neutral frequency response.

Chris

P.S. Am one of "those" singers where a 58 (slighty prefer 57 BTW) is quite competitive, even compared with expen$ive quality LDC's like a U87ai.

Back