SM57 owners--is mine defective?

The Swill Man

Hi all. I just bought an SM57 from Amazon.com. It arrived just now and I'm having trouble deciding if there's something wrong with this microphone.

First of all, the plastic grille on the top of the mic is LOOSE. Not loose that it's falling off, but it can be twisted left and right freely. Is the mic supposed to be built like this? :confused:

Secondly, the mesh windscreen on the top is concave; as if it's been pushed inwards by something. It doesn't look like an accident; the job is perfectly done, but I have seen pictures of SM57's with a perfectly flat windscreen, or at least they appeared to be flat.

Other than these anomalies, the mic appears to be a real SM57. Full Shure packaging with all the warranty cards, pouch, holder, etc. That's part of why I ordered from Amazon, to avoid getting a fake.

I called Shure to ask if I got a defective mic, telling them what I wrote above, and the guy said that the grille is supposed to spin freely and the windscreen has a concave surface. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear a second opinion from other SM57 owners out there...

Thanks, guys. I was a little bit shocked when I unpacked the mic, but if it's supposed to be like this, then no worries.

I find it funny that you didn't believe the Shure spokesperson though :laughings:

Well, it's often been the case that I've called a customer support line and found that the person on the other end had no idea what they were talking about. I wanted to hear from actual SM57 owners who know this mic well. :)

Exactly what does a defective SM57 taste like? For that matter, how does a good SM57 taste different from a defective one?:confused:

If your new one is defective, both my old ones are defective...one Unidyne III made in USA and the other in Mexico. Both capsule covers spin freely and both have concave mesh covers...unless you are looking at it from the capsule's point of view, of course.

Kinda like Gary Cooper in the movie *Sergent York* where he wets the sites of his rifle to cut down on the glare.

I like to do the taste test on my EV re320. That thing darn near chokes me. :laughings:

(*leaves door open for "that's what she said!" and walks away*)

Wow, so the manufacturing really hasn't changed much since those days. I would LOVE to have a MIU Unidyne III SM57. Seems impossible to find one that's not all beat to hell. Maybe someday...

They do pop up in the strangest places - keep a look out for one.

I like to do the taste test on my EV re320. That thing darn near chokes me. :laughings:

(*leaves door open for "that's what she said!" and walks away*)

Just be sure to not leave your 320 on a chair!

I wouldn't want to see a thread started by you reading *how to remove 320 from my bottom. :laughings:

Just be sure to not leave your 320 on a chair!

I wouldn't want to see a thread started by you reading *how to remove 320 from my bottom. :laughings:

That would be an interesting emergency room trip. :laughings: I'm afraid if that happened people would start to suspect things about me that aren't true! lol

I can see it all now! ~~~~~ lets just get plenty of Vaseline around here and here, hold on real good with the forceps and clamps now PULL quick, hard and fast .................................. :eek:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ☼:eek:

Back