SM57 or Oktava MC012 for rack tom?

Supercreep

Lizard People
Got some MXL 603s mics for overheads to tide me over until I get my Josephsons. My C1000s mics are going to the two floor toms. I'm using a D112 on Kick, and a 57 on the snare. I've got one Oktava MC012 - should I throw it up on the single 12" rack tom, or should I use another 57? If I use the 57 I could use the MC012 for HH - but the HH is coming out in the OH just fine.

Can the MC012 handle the spls?

Thanks in advance -

Creep

The pad screws in-line between the capsule and the body.

I've heard that the 012 makes a decent snare mic...might want to try that. I find the 57s to be boring on just about everything, but they're a good cheap utility mic, so it should suffice on your rack tom.

Thanks, I see now. I'll try it on both, and try the 012 on HH as well. I could also use one c1000s in between the two floor toms.... I guess I'll just have to see. Just got the mics home and I'll be testing them tonight. I'm hoping for an improvement over the C1000S. We'll see!!

I've used the MC012 as a snare mic often. Kicks booty. It has never over-loaded (obviously use the pad).

Well, it turned out to be a dud, I reckon - the 603s was about four times as loud even without the pad, with much less noise. It's going back to GC tomorrow. Threw up the 57 and it sounds ok. :cool:

The Oktava will give you 3 times the low end of the C1000, you will have to do some fancy EQing to make it work on the high tom.

Back