SM57 or Beta 57-a? Or something else?

Sifunkle

Hi all,

The only mic I currently have is a JTS JS-1 condenser which is reasonably good for vox. I'm currently shopping around for a dynamic mic. I don't really have the money to buy a whole set of good mics at the moment, so I'm looking for something that's very versatile, if not the very best quality: jack of all trades, master of none.

From what I've heard, the Shure SM57 is the general go-to there. I went to my local shop to check it out and the sales assistant also showed me the Shure Beta 57-a. It costs a bit more, but he claims it's slightly better quality all around, and is a decent mic for live vocals as well.

Just wondering if someone can recommend which you'd go for if you were in my situation. I'd rather spend as little as possible, but don't mind shelling out a bit extra if it's worth it. A mic that I can also use on stage is a definite positive, but not if it means it's worse quality for recording. I can get the SM57 for about $125 and the Beta 57-a for about $180.

Would love to hear your thoughts, and thanks in advance,

Si

The SM57 is a cardioid microphone. The Beta 57a is a hypercardioid pattern. Unless you need an extremely directional mic for some reason, I'd stick with the basic SM57--it's somewhat more versatile than a hypercardioid mic.

Bob

I'd agree with Bobbsy- the SM57 is a go-to/industry standard for three reasons- 1) it works, 2) it's been around since pre-historic times, and 3) it's durable as rocks. You will see some people post, saying they hate the SM's/there are better mics, etc. etc. ad nauseum, and it may all be true- but there is much to say for consistency and knowing what to expect.

The Beta 57-a I find very useful in the live sound support avenue when it comes to drummers who sing.
The hypercardioid pattern helps out a lot!

Try the Audix OM7 for that application, moresound. Hypercardioid pattern and deliberately low sensitivity in a mic that sounds really good. It's become my "get out of jail free" mic for singing drummers and situations with an over-loud stage wash.

Try the Audix OM7 for that application, moresound. Hypercardioid pattern and deliberately low sensitivity in a mic that sounds really good. It's become my "get out of jail free" mic for singing drummers and situations with an over-loud stage wash.

Thanks Bob I'll give it a try for I do have a bunch of Audix microphones but haven't had them out in a number of years.

I prefer the sound of the original SM57 over the beta. They do sound slightly different. Just my preference, others may prefer the beta.

Thanks for the responses everyone,

I've bought an SM57, should be delivered on the weekend. The hypercardioid pattern does sound interesting, and I do occasionally sing while drumming, but at this stage I'm just looking for a nice all-rounder, so SM57 seemed to fit the bill best.

Really appreciate the pointers! :)

Nothing dramatic. The LC is the standard mic with no cable in the supplied accessories. The LCE is the same mic but with a 5/8" to 3/8" thread adaptor for use on European-style mic stands.

Bob

I know shouldn't it be less confusing.
Or either just sell a microphone and leave the accessories to an other day.

Yeah, i've never understood the dumb beta mics that shure cranks out either. One of my buds had the beta version of the 58 (maybe it was the 57..) when we did a live show, but he sounded like he always sounds. :D

Back