SM57 for bass cabs

Yes, it will recorded both "o.k" in my opinion.
I'd personally go for a MD421 great on guitar/bass cabs. They are about $350 thou

No DI on my bass cab and my GT The Brick preamp (for DI use) doesn't have the grunt of mic'ing my 100w marshall cab. I used my GT67 valve mic to test my cab recording over the weekend...it sounded ok but I think a dynamic mic would be better/easier. It would not pick up so much ambience...not that it will get much I suppose from the closet where I have put my amps for recording!

I would really recommend...

An Audix D-4 for mic'ing the bass cab. Really nice mic with great freq. response for bass (and drums for that matter). I've actually switched from DI to using the D-4 for recording and live work as it does a phenomenal job of reproducing my cab's sound both on tape and through FOH.

Jay

Just to check, it is actually a bass cab you are using, not a guitar cab with a bass head, right? You can blow out your cab if you do that.

If you're blending the mic'ed track with a DI track, then I think a 57 works great for that. If you're just mic'ing, then I'd use something else.

It's a 100w marshall combo bass amp (20 years old).

Can you recommend a mic around the same price (or less) than a SM57 that would be better for mic'ing my bass combo? or as mentioned will the SM57 suffice?

http://www.sleepykid.org/sound-3.htm

if you go here on click on "pressure drop" this song was recorded with a 57 on the bass. dunno how it will show up on an mp3...but it has decent low end from what i remember of it 10 years ago. i think the 80hz was bumped up on my mackie.

i actually think the 57 can be a good tool for muddy basses...the midrange helps to define...

btw- i just recorded a marshall like yours - guy had it running thru a 2-10 1-15 thing. beautiful amp. i'll take it for 50 bucks. :D

Mike

I actually never tried SM57 in my short career as a home-studio-recording-engineer.

First attempt:
Direct Output of amp

2nd attempt:
MD421

3rd attempt (and only thing I use till now):
AKG D112 & Direct Output

I have an effects send & return on my amp combo and preamp out, can I use these as a DI. I need to double check preamp out though, as it sounds like it could be the same as speaker out and would blow any sound card/desk that I would plug it into?

Back