SM57 Alternatives

OneRoomStudios

So there have been many threads here where people have said they liked other mics than the sm57 for different sources. There have also been Sm57 vs. X comparisons. I was just wondering...what mics do people use in place of an sm57 in all situations. In other words, if you were to throw out your 57 (or just didn't own one yet), what mic would you want instead? A mic that's as flexible as the 57.

So far it seems like the mics that are able to do all the jobs of the sm57 cost a whole lot more. Obviously for a step up in quality it should cost more, but are there any mics out there that sound as good as the 57 (or better) and are in the same price range? To compare an $80 mic to a $600 mic isn't exactly fair. Even the cheapest one mentioned (that I've heard of) - the RE-16 is $250. In fairness, the D330 and D320 may be cheaper, I've never heard of them.

I think a fairer question is what mics, in the same price range, would you put aside SM57s for. Were it not for the durability issue (speaking of durability of condensers in general, not of this one in partiular) I might say the SP B1. But the only one that I would unequivocally include would be the Sennheiser e835.

Not true, One Room. The 320 and 330 series AKG's I mentioned are $40-$60 used on ebay, about the same as an SM57, and they are, to my ear, much better mics. Sennheiser e835 is a compareable mic I consider better for some things (vox), maybe not quite as good on others (snare). Although it retails for the same price as SM57, there's a lot bigger markup in the Sennheisers. GC will sell me e835's for $36, but the SM57 for $80. So for cabs and snare I use AKG D320B, and for live vocals, e835.-Richie

Shure 545 (the 57's fraternal twin).

The fave is turning out to be the EV RE15 for (general) vocal use.
It works as well (or better) as various $1000+ vocal mics tried so far on me.

Hey if was good enough for Elvis to have 60's/70's hits with...:)

You can score them for about $100 used on ebay if you're patient.

Chris

P.S. The RE15 is a favorite for Keith Richard's amp, and the 635a also has a
fine reputation.

Richard Monroe said:
Not true, One Room. The 320 and 330 series AKG's I mentioned are $40-$60 used on ebay, about the same as an SM57, and they are, to my ear, much better mics.

Richie - I just checked AKG's website and it seems that the 320 and 330 have been discontinued. Do you know if any of their new (current line-up) mics are updated versions of the 330/320 or if they're similar? Thanks.

And while you're discussing them, which do you all like better, the M69 or the RE16?

MXL 990 for electric guitars- So shoot me. I had one on a Line 6 Amp and the SM57 on a Marshall cab last weekend. If I play the tracks side by side, they are not that disimilar in sound.

If you want it for vocals however one of the above mics would be better.

Back