SM57

Vocals vocals vocals.

Someone recently posted that the SM57 and SM58 are basically the same microphone except for the ball. True?

I have an SM57 and need to record vocals. I tried once but wasn't too happy with the results. But then I'm a newbie and I don't have great voice to begin with :)

Last night I was perusing through my old Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denver (good general resource BTW) and he mentioned that the SM57 and SM58 are both used traditionally as instrument AND vocal microphones.

What can I expect (from a non-professional standpoint) from my SM57 if I use it for vocals. I was reading somewhere about ways to make filters and such to reduce pops and such out of things like nylons...maybe that was here? Any comments? Thanks.

Slackmaster 2000

When I first started recording, I used an SM58. I was about as happy as you were. Using it live is another story- the mic is still and always has performed great. I now use a condender mic (CAD E-100)for vocals, and it provides me with much better sonic quality. I've heard that live SM57's do a great job with instruments.

I've never heard that the SM57 is the same as the SM58 though. I know that they do have similar frequency characteristics. Maybe the pick-up patterns are different- the SM58 works best for close-up vocals. Something to check into maybe.

As far as popping and such, I bought a cheap pop filter from American Musical Supply. You can make by stretching nylon over a coat hanger. Bend the hanger into a circular shape, stetch the nylon over it, and maybe duct tape (or some kind of tape) it to the boom on the mic stand. This is a cheap way but I tried it a few years back and it worked OK.

What kind of equipment do you have? Tweaking the vocals can be done a number of ways-EQ, reverb, compession, etc. I'm not a pro by any means, but if you let me know what kind of gear you have, I might be able to give you some tips on the SM57's sound.

[This message has been edited by warble (edited 10-21-1999).]

Oh, there's more to this place than just the messageboard? :)

Oops, guess I should have checked. Answered all of my questions. No all I have to do is learn how to sing and I'm home free!

Thanks,

Slackmaster 2000

Don't sweat it, S2K...on the other SM57 thread in this very forum there are obviously people who didn't even have the curiosity to read this one! So I'm not going to bother enlightening them :(

sm58 is probably the most common live vocal mic in use. I have been gigging around LA for 10 years and Ive seen many a stage where there are 3 sm58's on the front line.
I also know a pro with platinum records on the wall wh said he always loved to use the sm57 live since it added fullness and warmth to his excellent but medium to high voice.
But thats talking LIVE. In the studio, I know that the chili peppers have used a sm57 for certain drums and all the overdubs on an entire album.
When I hear sm57 the first thing I think of is Snare Drum since its kinda the standard. Try them both and be sure to try different placements. People say that its all in the plcaement anyway...

Slackmaster2K said:
Vocals vocals vocals.

Someone recently posted that the SM57 and SM58 are basically the same microphone except for the ball. True?

I have an SM57 and need to record vocals. I tried once but wasn't too happy with the results. But then I'm a newbie and I don't have great voice to begin with :)

Last night I was perusing through my old Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denver (good general resource BTW) and he mentioned that the SM57 and SM58 are both used traditionally as instrument AND vocal microphones.

What can I expect (from a non-professional standpoint) from my SM57 if I use it for vocals. I was reading somewhere about ways to make filters and such to reduce pops and such out of things like nylons...maybe that was here? Any comments? Thanks.

Slackmaster 2000

They are different.

It will give you a much darker sound than a condenser will, but if it's the sound you want, then sure!

You'll also need to back them up with a good pre for them to really work well....

Blue Bear Sound said:
No - not really...

They have SLIGHTLY different characteristics because of the grill design, but the capsules are EXACTLY THE SAME.

I've heard this too but according to the mic specs the 57 has a wider freq response than the 58. Does the grill account for that diff?

huh

first, thanks for your help blue...

but what do you mean back them up with a pre? I thought you couldn't use the pre-amp with 57's b/c they aren't condenser mics?

also i just bought ansd Alesis multimix 8fx mixer..it has phantom power which is the same as pre-amps, right?

please forvigve my idiocy!

Re: huh

substance said:

but what do you mean back them up with a pre? I thought you couldn't use the pre-amp with 57's b/c they aren't condenser mics?

also i just bought ansd Alesis multimix 8fx mixer..it has phantom power which is the same as pre-amps, right?

please forvigve my idiocy!
A preamp amplifies the signal from ANY mic up to line level so you can use it. Condenser mics need phantom power and dynamics do not. Maybe that's what you were thinking about?

I could almost cry.....

A newbie who used the search function to find long lost posts just means 2004 might be a better year. :)

SoMm

Re: huh

substance said:

but what do you mean back them up with a pre?

Dynamic mics are more sensitive to the loading characteristics (impedance) of a preamp than condensers. A dynamic can sound like an entirely different mic from one pre to another, whereas a condenser's difference would probably be much more subtle.

Back