SM-57's as Overheads in the three mic technique

i once i long whlie back recorded a whole percusion group live with 2 sm57's in stereo and 1 condenser in the center, the mics were spaced out about 5 feet apart from each other
you have to try it and hear how it sound, but
nothing can beat having condensers as overheads
good luck

i once did a drum set up with all dynamics. sm57 as overhead. sm57 on snare. d112 on bass drum. (we didn't, but using dynamics on toms would have been ideal). makes for a really good sound for metal. gives that close micing feel and still using plenty of Overhead.

of course it does. but it takes away that overly bright sound that condensers give to the drums. in-escense, the sound i was talking about.

well, its better if you can find a mic that is eq-ed to sound like i want....and i like the results for the purpose i mentioned. so, it works.

I am using a 57 as an overhead drum mic in my home studio and have no complaints. It is not as clean sounding as a condenser, but , I like the coloration. :)

Depeneding on the song I usually go with ribbon mics or lg. diaphragm tube condenser mics for overheads [sometimes small diaphragm condenser mics... but usually large]... that said... the SM-57 is quite capable of doing the job in a 3 mic thing without too much struggle... the caveat being that you will need a great sounding room, kit, and drummer, and mic pre's [all equally important] or you're going to spend most of the day trying to make chicken salad from chicken shit... sometimes you can hide some of the warts with the other mics a bit easier.

Best of luck with it.

Back