SM 57 mic repair?

toneranger

Hi All,

So today while trying out a new mic stand I accidentally dropped my beloved sm57 mic.
It fell on the grill/head, pointing down vertically, but it was only a 3-4 inch drop, so I'm kind of still surprised that it's no longer responsive and disappointed too given the mic's reputation for toughness... I unscrewed it (middle of mic) to check the soldering joints and the green/white wires are still soldered so I know it's not that.

So sounds like it's a diaphragm issue?

Is that typically fixable by a local electronics repair type guy?

I talked to one shop and he said he couldn't fix it if it's a diaphragm problem. Not sure what else could be wrong with it.

Thanks,
TR

Hey,
That is a shame. You're right; They're known for being pretty rugged.

Is the flat metal grill now concave?

If the very fine coil wires up top had broken I'd expect you'd be getting some buzz so I'm wondering if the coil has become lodged.
If that was the case, you'd should get some confirmation output from tapping the mic.

I'd also loosen the grub screw at the XLR end and (very carefully!) withdraw the 3 pins assembly to check those solder connections.
Super unlikely, I know, but easy to rule out so why not!?

I can't see many local electronics shops going any deeper than that, to be honest.
They may offer to carry out a capsule replacement but then I guess you'll be paying shure prices plus labour so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

It's reasonably easy to remove the top grill assembly for inspection. Are you a taky-aparty kind of person?

Edit: Where did you buy it?
There are lots of fakes out there that'd be a whole lot less rugged, particularly at the business end.

Hey,
That is a shame. You're right; They're known for being pretty rugged.

Is the flat metal grill now concave?

If the very fine coil wires up top had broken I'd expect you'd be getting some buzz so I'm wondering if the coil has become lodged.
If that was the case, you'd should get some confirmation output from tapping the mic.

I'd also loosen the grub screw at the XLR end and (very carefully!) withdraw the 3 pins assembly to check those solder connections.
Super unlikely, I know, but easy to rule out so why not!?

I can't see many local electronics shops going any deeper than that, to be honest.
They may offer to carry out a capsule replacement but then I guess you'll be paying shure prices plus labour so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

It's reasonably easy to remove the top grill assembly for inspection. Are you a taky-aparty kind of person?

Edit: Where did you buy it?
There are lots of fakes out there that'd be a whole lot less rugged, particularly at the business end.

Re grill: not at all, it just fell maybe 4-5 inches from the stand, doesn't even look dented. No buzz.

I get some confirmation from tapping the grill, but it's barely picking the sound from my amp, I'm getting an extremely weak signal (have to boost the gain on the preamp to hear the really faint sound).

I hope I have a tiny flat head screwdriver to try and do what you suggested, going to look for one.

Re grill: not at all, it just fell maybe 4-5 inches from the stand, doesn't even look dented. No buzz.

I get some confirmation from tapping the grill, but it's barely picking the sound from my amp, I'm getting an extremely weak signal (have to boost the gain on the preamp to hear the really faint sound).

I hope I have a tiny flat head screwdriver to try and do what you suggested, going to look for one.

Hmm..If you're getting evidence of a signal when tapping it then there's no need to check the XLR barrel.
The symptoms suggest that the diaphragm is either restricted, or has come loose.

Personally I'd want to get the grill off for a look but I don't know if you're comfortable with that sort of thing.

From this thread..... https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...-sm57s-stopped-working-393156/?highlight=suck

Ah, fair enough.

What you're describing sounds like obstructed coils or diaphragms.
AKG d12 (twelve) gets this a lot because the diaphragm is clamped, rather than glued, and can move over time or as a result of a hard thud.
If you've ever put pressure on one side of a hifi speaker cone, you'll probably have observed the same symptoms. It forces the coil to rub sacrificing LF output.

Potential causes include exposure to moisture causing corrosion, debris in there (somehow) or foam degrading/coming loose and putting pressure on the diaphragm.

Someone had a similar thing a while back and another member here suggested sucking the top of the mic....I'm not even joking.
Whatever was causing the obstruction, that was enough to remedy it! :eek:

Maybe with some luck it may help(?):eek:

Unless you can dismantle it and find something very basic and fixable, then it's a new capsule, which is the R57, but expect to pay around d $90 for one. Easy enough to fit.

+1.
Don't be fooled by anything that looks like this.
Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 17.43.47.png

An sm57/58's innards should be solid metal with no hollow cavities, like this.
Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 17.45.31.png

The rule with 57 capsule (and Sony 7605 headphones) : If the price is good, it's not real!

OH NO, last time I suggested this I was subject to so strange comments, but it worked.

It may be that the diaphragm my be stuck due to being rammed to one end of the travel. Seal your lips over the end of the mic (the end you would sing into) and gently suck and blow into the mic, this may loosen the diaphragm. This has worked for me and many others.

Now comes the jokes.

Alan.

Back