SM-57 and frequency response

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm currently micing an upright piano with 2 sm57's (from the back) and would like to use the eq to smooth out the sm57's freq peak so that it's more flat. At which freq, and by how much, should I cut ? Thanks.

Daniel

You know you should be going for what sounds right first, right?:D
Go to a 57's plot. It has an uneven peak that jags up and down on it's way to about +5 @ around 6k (from memory:p ). But it also slopes down a shit load on the low end, which means the midrange will also be poking out -that is unless you had it up close in which case it slopes up a shit load. But then you might want to keep some of the 6k since that's part of the good sound of a 57 that adds 'clarity'....

:D :D I'm giving you a hard time here ok?:D :D
Wayne

mixsit said:
You know you should be going for what sounds right first, right?:D
Go to a 57's plot. It has an uneven peak that jags up and down on it's way to about +5 @ around 6k (from memory:p ). But it also slopes down a shit load on the low end, which means the midrange will also be poking out -that is unless you had it up close in which case it slopes up a shit load. But then you might want to keep some of the 6k since that's part of the good sound of a 57 that adds 'clarity'....

:D :D I'm giving you a hard time here ok?:D :D
Wayne

Ok, thanks Wayne! :)

Daniel

mixsit said:
Thank you.:) It's always nice to get some feedback. Sometimes I think my funnin' puts people off a bit.:D
Wayne

Hey, don't worry Wayne! :) I appreciate your input nevertheless! Thanks again :)

Daniel

Back