"Sleeper" mics you've found through the years

I'm going to just list mics that I purchased new and pleasantly surprised me:

Everything from Naiant but especially the tube MSH-4 mics.

MXL 9090---a plain-jane version of the V67i at a bargain price.

MXL 960---silky smooth, low noise at a bargain price

MXL 991---extremely similar to the 603s (unfortunately, has to be purchased along with a 990)

MXL RM40---nice ribbons, right out of the boxes

AKG 2000b---durable, seems to handle everything pretty well, time-after-time

Nady SPC-10---can't say enough about this bargain condenser

Nady SPC-25---bargain stage condenser

Nady SCM-960---a Joemeek JM27DP at more than half the price

CAD m179---just so freakin' quiet, versatile and useful---always reminds me of a cross between a dynamic and a condenser

ATM27H dynamic---hot and fat and clean

Joemeek JM27 mics (like SM57 mics on steroids), JM37DP and JM47

All my Oktava mics (purchased before the latest boutique pricings)---air-meisters of the warmer skies!

SP C4 mics---distinctively round tone

Heil PR40---my go-to recording dynamic

I'd better stop now . . .

Paj
8^)

:D Have you checked those two companies out?

Yes, and my Paypal is itching. In addition to the mini-omni's, the Karma K6 looks like something I need to try out. Through this forum I'm getting all sorts of idea's for the local symphony. I do all of their sound for their dozen (or so) annual events. I'm also about to do some theatre sound where a couple of mini-omni's seem like a good addition.

Nady SCM-900

I recently bought a Nady SCM-900 large-condensor mic for demo recordings of amps and effects that I produce. I was pretty impressed by it and the prescence it brought to the recording that was lacking with other types of mics.

But when a friend asked me to evaluate some Neumann M149 mics that he bought that are thousands of dollars, the only thing I had to compare it to was the Nady. The SCM-900 pretty much held its own in small-signal and large-signal tests. It was lacking in the very low end and the very top end. And I'm talking rumble and hiss areas. I was shocked at how good it sounded in A/B tests with the same souce. The Neumann had much more output in all ranges, but after accounting for that, the sound was very similar. I'm happy with the Nady mic, and especially at the $50 range it cost me.

....How about Peavey mics? any secret weapons out there?

Since I have not seen any responses about the secret Peavey weapons...

PVM480: great small condensor that can comfortable hang in with an AT4041

PVM45 (also PVM45i and PVM45ir): dynamic microphone in the vein of the SM57, however when I have A-B/ed the two microphones the PVM45 always wins

PVM520i and PVM520TN: dynamic microphone that works well for just about everything from bass drum to vcocals. This microphone is in the style of an SM7.

PVM48: older condensor, prior to the PVM480. This is a descent microphone, not as crisp as the PVM480. The case looks like the PVM45 or SM57.

Studio Pro M1/M2: this is a large condensor microphone. This is a Made in China, made for Peavey, microphone. I have seen other microphones that look suspiciously similar to this microphone. The performance of the microphone is good. It is not up to the sound of an AT4033, but it is very good. The M1 is a cardiod pattern. The M2 is a variable pattern.

PVM T9000: This is a tube condensor micropphone from the Audio Media Research group of Peavey. This is an exellent microphone. Very smooth and crisp response while mainaining full body.

PVM46: this is a good vocal micrrophone. It can hang well with the Beta 58. More of a live microphone than a recording microphone.

Other good microphones, but they are older and you don't see them often ECR10, ECR11, PVM580.

In general I would not be apprehensive about any Peavey Made In USA microphones. Any I have tried have more than impressed me. Especially when you consider the low used market prices you can find for these microphones.

Yes, and my Paypal is itching. In addition to the mini-omni's, the Karma K6 looks like something I need to try out. Through this forum I'm getting all sorts of idea's for the local symphony. I do all of their sound for their dozen (or so) annual events. I'm also about to do some theatre sound where a couple of mini-omni's seem like a good addition.

Yes, in the RIGHT situation they will work out great for you. :thumbs up:

Reactions: Paj
Anybody familiar with the Sennheiser MD736? Found a couple of them fairly cheap but cannot find any info or opinions. Maybe made in the 90's? They look quite a bit like the Senn MD416 but with a black finish.

MD 735/736: All you need to do is search the net. Here's the owner's manual:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/old_manual.nsf/resources/MD736_MD735.pdf/$File/MD736_MD735.pdf

Paj
8^)

In some gear trades I ended up with a slightly used AT 4047 , I am pleasantly surprised with this mic. It's good on male vocals, and excellent recording ac guitar.

Back