"Sleeper" mics you've found through the years

Tomm Williams

Any really good unknown mics you guys have stumbled across in your travels? I recently got turned on to a pair of EV BK-1's by a couple of friends in the industry. Great live sound condenser vocal mics. And the EV 308's for horns,actually got rid of my Senn 421's for the 308's. Sound almost as good on horns but far more durable and much cheaper. My primary use is live not studio so the 421's had to go. How about Peavey mics? any secret weapons out there?

akg d330 bt sounds very good on vocals and acoustic guitars. I will try that mic on toms at some point as well.

When I did live sound I used a AKG d330 on the floor toms, and a AKG d320 on toms and also 2 x AKG d310's for toms, they sounded as good or better than a SM57 and did not break if the drummer hit them.

My biggest sleeper is the Rode NT1000, pick them up for under $250 second hand and they have the same capsule as a NTK. Sound fantastic on vocals, acoustic guitar, anything really.

Alan.

I have found the Naiant X-S (a tiny omni) to be very versatile and great value at $39. I've used it hung over a guitar cabinet, clipped onto an acoustic guitar, even strapped it to the sound head of my wife's flute.

Paul

I was very surprised by the Neumann U269. I had never heard of it when i hired a studio and requested a U47 for a vocal i was recording. They didn't have the 47s that day as they were all being used in a session so the studio manager suggested the U269. At first, i was skeptical. Then i was like, what the hell, this IS the Swedish Radio's studio so it's not like they're going to be giving me junk. Very impressive and now i use the U269 whenever i can get one.

I have found the Naiant X-S (a tiny omni) to be very versatile and great value at $39. I've used it hung over a guitar cabinet, clipped onto an acoustic guitar, even strapped it to the sound head of my wife's flute.

Paul

;) A+1 on the Naiants there Paul :thumbs up:

There is a $50 mic thread here with an impressive list of mics that are better than their prices suggest.
My favorite dark horse mic is the discontinued Audio Technica MB3000L. NOS mics can still be found here and there for around $30. A really fantastic handheld vocal dynamic.

Paul

This is the kind of stuff I was hoping for----------never even heard of that mic. Gonna check it out.

Just looked at Naiants site. A violin mount WITH the mic $39.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I work with the local symphony quite often, I gotta try these things.

Some mics I've found over the years- This list includes a lot of AKG, an often confusing line with some dogs and some sleepers:

Behringer XM8500- A really good cardioid dynamic for $25 new. Great drum kit stuff and usable as a vocal mic in a pinch.

AKG C2000B- small diaphragm electret condenser in a larger, side address housing. This is the mic MXL 990 *wishes* it was. The single most versatile mic I own- good in vocals, acoustic instruments, percussion,overheads, stereo ensemble recording, orchestral spot mic, almost anything. A lot like Oktava MC012, but without the "pop" when you sing into it.

AKG D770- discontinued handheld dynamic, great voiceover mic. I use it anywhere others would use an SM57.

AKG D3800 tripower- Discontinued hypercardioid dynamic. Sounds like a condenser. Very good on things that don't move much (live piano). Challenging as a vocal mic due to its tight polar pattern. Can be had new in the flight case for $100. Comparable to Sennheiser MD421.

These are a few of my favorites that get no respect.

+1 on the d770's they are good for vocals and guitars. Since they are omnis do not use them for drums. However I may try one as an overhead for a live show.

The Behringer ECM8000. Used I've picked these up for under twenty dollars and can get the best recordings with that microphone especially stand up bass.

The Behringer ECM8000. Used I've picked these up for under twenty dollars and can get the best recordings with that microphone especially stand up bass.

Yup. I sold a pair of those on this board a while back. Sometimes wish I had them back considering the paltry sum involved.

Back