Single Stereo Mic vs. Two Mono Mics Creating Stereo - Pros and Cons of Each

Clarinet

I'm testing the MXL 990 Stereo mic and trying to decide whether to keep it (one of the lowest priced stereo mics at $149) or to use two $50 to $70 mono mics together in an w/y pattern to create a stereo signal.

For those that have used both setups, what are the pros and cons?

The pros and cons that come to my mind are:

1) A single stereo mic is a lot simpler to set up, especially for recording at remote locations. One stand, one mount, one dual cable.
2) Two mono mics allow more flexibility in recording different sized groups. Either a dual mic attachment for a single mic stand or two mic stands as well as two cables are required.

What other pros and cons are there for each in your experience? Yes, we are discussing lower cost mics so comparison with $100 to $500 mono mics is not necessary.

What do you plan on recording most? You can do a lot more with a pair of small diaphragm condensers than you can do with one stereo mic. If you get a stereo mic bar you can put them on one stand.

What do you plan on recording most? You can do a lot more with a pair of small diaphragm condensers than you can do with one stereo mic. If you get a stereo mic bar you can put them on one stand.
Good question. I should have stated my purpose up front. One half the use will be my solo clarinet practice sessions. The other half will be recording sessions of from 2 to 6 clarinets in a 10x10' or 30x40' room. The further purpose is to judge our tone, intonation, and how well we blend with one another.

I am using a $10 (Amazon) version of the mic bar. There ends up being a lot of hardware on the mic stand. If I keep this one, I will need to get a stronger bolt and wingnut to keep the mic bar position secure.

I understand that a stereo mic (or pair) using the X/Y configuration should be located the same distance from the center of the group as the group is wide, forming an equilateral triangle. I understand separated configurations can get tricky, so I'm questioning the real benefits of two separate mics as opposed to the simplicity and fool proof setup of one stereo mic.

A semi-circle is the way we most often configure ourselves. The straight line example was for simplicity of the triangle analogy.
So, in the semi-circle (picturing an exact half circle of musicians) should the mic be smack in the middle of the hypothetical circle? Or should it be a few feet further distant from the center? This assumes the mics are in the X/Y pattern, aiimed 90 degrees from one another. See here-> Stereo Microphone Techniques | Los Senderos Studio

Depends on how wide you want the stereo image to be spread, and (maybe more importantly) how important it is to you that all the instruments have the same relative volume.

Depends on how wide you want the stereo image to be spread, and (maybe more importantly) how important it is to you that all the instruments have the same relative volume.
The closer in the to the group the mic is located, the wider the stereo image, the further away the narrower?

A semi-circle is the way we most often configure ourselves. The straight line example was for simplicity of the triangle analogy.
So, in the semi-circle (picturing an exact half circle of musicians) should the mic be smack in the middle of the hypothetical circle? Or should it be a few feet further distant from the center? This assumes the mics are in the X/Y pattern, aiimed 90 degrees from one another. See here-> Stereo Microphone Techniques | Los Senderos Studio

I would make the mic equidistant from all the instruments. For your purposes I would spread the group relatively wide, in an arc up to 180°. With two players I would put them 90° apart, in line with the two elements. In the smaller room the reflections off the walls will alter the sound considerably.

I would make the mic equidistant from all the instruments. For your purposes I would spread the group relatively wide, in an arc up to 180°. With two players I would put them 90° apart, in line with the two elements. In the smaller room the reflections off the walls will alter the sound considerably.
And I'm guessing either a single Stereo mic or two X/Y mics would work equally well for this purpose in this configuration. I'm also guessing that the major trade-off is convenience of a single mic compared to the flexibility to use all those different arrangements described in the above Los Sanderos Studio link that I may never have any desire to pursue.

And I'm guessing either a single Stereo mic or two X/Y mics would work equally well for this purpose in this configuration. I'm also guessing that the major trade-off is convenience of a single mic compared to the flexibility to use all those different arrangements described in the above Los Sanderos Studio link that I may never have any desire to pursue.

Yep, that's why when I knew your purpose the first thing I said was to use your stereo mic. For what you're doing just keep it simple.

Yep, that's why when I knew your purpose the first thing I said was to use your stereo mic. For what you're doing just keep it simple.
And if I want to experiment a bit more, I could activate the other two channels in my Tascam DR40 and use the built-in condensers to enhance stereo effect in some yet undiscovered configuration.

Back