silly question: V67G vs. AT3035

brother rat

All mics sound the same.
Hi everyone. I have a V67G as my only LDC. I'm quite happy with it, no real complaints. But I have read over and over again the praises of the discontinued AT3035. My question is if the 3035 would be an upgrade to the V67G? Or would that be a horizontal rather than vertical move?
Thanks for your input.

I own 2 of the 3035's and like them quite a bit. However based on price point, I would be surprised if the AT sounded significantly better than the MXL. My guess is a horizontal move more or less.

I have the v67g and the CAD m179, and I have to say that getting the cad would be a good move. Mine is a little noisy, but the omni and figure eight patterns really expand your options!

Thank y'all for your input.

Yeah about the same, Brother Rat.

Are you looking for a new LDC to add to the locker?

Yeah, I would like to add a respectable LDC to the collection. I spotted a used 3035 the other day and I figured I would investigate. I just purchased a couple other microphones, so really I will probably wait until I can save up some cash to throw at a higher price bracket.
I would also consider picking up a used C2000b right now. I understand it's an SDC, but the multi-purpose capability is appealing.

I see suggestions for the CAD M179 once in a while. Maybe having something with multi-patterns might be a worth a look.

Multi-pattern is quite attractive, as well.

...I have read over and over again the praises of the discontinued AT3035.

Rather than start yet another noob "Which cheap condenser?" thread, I'll tack this on here; where are all these "praises" of the AT3035? I'm looking for my first LDC, and based on price, brand reputation, and user reviews on sites like Sweetwater & MF, I was leaning toward the AT2035 or better yet, a used AT3035. However, on forums like this one, I have a hard time finding people who recommend the AT3035. I see way more positive comments about the MXL stuff, or people saying avoid the sub-$200 mics altogether and hold out for a Rode NT1-A or better.

For someone who only has an SM57 and SM58, and wants a "first" condenser for learning on, is the AT3035 a pretty good choice?

Last edited:
Rather than start yet another noob "Which cheap condenser?" thread, I'll tack this on here; where are all these "praises" of the AT3035? I'm looking for my first LDC, and based on price, brand reputation, and user reviews on sires like Sweetwater & MF, I was leaning toward the AT2035 or better yet, a used AT3035. However, on forums like this one, I have a hard time finding people who recommend the AT3035. I see way more positive comments about the MXL stuff, or people saying avoid the sub-$200 mics altogether and hold out for a Rode NT1-A or better.

For someone who only has an SM57 and SM58, and wants a "first" condenser for learning on, is the AT3035 a pretty good choice?

I'll go ahead and respond - you aren't likely to get a lot of responses here at the end of the thread.
Anyway, the AT3035 is probably a great first condenser (though I've personally never used one). As mentioned previously here there are a handful of standout mics in this lower price bracket. CAD 179, MXL V67G, etc. Unfortunately, the reality is often: "you just pick one and do what you can with it." As you said, another option might be just to save up for the next price bracket.
I tend to keep to the lower price ranges because I know that my ears cannot tell the difference and I'm really only working on projects for myself. You might have a higher performing signal chain, mixing/recording space, etc. that would warrant more expensive mics.

Back