Shure57/58

The answer is....

yes.

They're identical from the xlr jack right up to the capsule. The 58 is better protected from spit, and the 57 can get closer to a source. The difference between the sound of a 57 and a 58 might be no greater than the sound difference between two 57's or two 58's.

The SM57 has more clarity and top end response.
This is due to the foam on the SM58 and the different grill design.

Using Shure's own foam piece for the SM57 for live performance still
is more transparent than the SM58. (around $10 or so)

If you look at concert pictures typically 20+ years ago there are many
examples of this among top name acts. It's usually better to use a pop
screen for studio type recording instead of foam BTW.

Chris

if you're using the mic for vocals, you'll probably want to go with the 58 due to the windscreen. if your using it for instruments or anything else, go for the 57.

I've used the SM57 (and a zillion other singers!:)) plus foam windscreen with good results live, better than the SM58 IMHO. Just make sure the little screw is on tight, then it's perfectly fine when you move around-like Shure intended.

Chris

A guy at a music shop told me to take off the wind screen globe of my 58 and mic my amp with it because the cartridge is the same as the 57.

That's not quite true as I think the 57 has a little foam inside the top? But it's a very good approxiation as long as you're careful - the 58 is not meant to be topless!

Can I just say, it's nice to have Chris back? Maybe it's cos there's been a few Shure threads the last few days ... but it's good nonetheless :)

noisedude said:
That's not quite true as I think the 57 has a little foam inside the top? But it's a very good approxiation as long as you're careful - the 58 is not meant to be topless!
The capsule ARE the same on a 57 and 58..... it's the body casing and the distance between the grill/diaphragm on the 58 that causes the slight difference in sound. With the ball end off the 58, it essentially becomes a 57.

Blue Bear Sound said:
The capsule ARE the same on a 57 and 58..... it's the body casing and the distance between the grill/diaphragm on the 58 that causes the slight difference in sound. With the ball end off the 58, it essentially becomes a 57.
I read somewhere on here that they aren't safe without the balls on. I dunno ... I got rid of my 58s a while ago and so only see them in passing now.

Back