Shure USA Unidyne 548SD Anyone?

chess999

Looking at buying this off ebay. Anyone have any experience with these?
How does it compare to the Unidyne 545 USA?

Thanks,
DG

no, just mic itself..no cord or gooseneck. But wow, you mean I could actually get that "Mcdonalds" sound from this thing? Well that's gotta be the holy grail right? lol

...I have a Shure 548s Unidyne IV...the best of the Unidyne series and the grandaddy of the SM57/58 (and SM7)...best of the Unidyne capsules...absolutely great mic!...rivals my SM7 mics...if you can find one, grab it!...you may need to clean out the old foam baffles as they tend to decay over time...you got it for $50?...S-C-O-R-E!!!

Attachments

• b043_1.JPG
    b043_1.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,482
I cannot wait to break that out for a client...:rolleyes:...I think it is only designed for sounds like "Do you want fries with that".:p

Ill admit Ive never worked fast food...lol.

Well you may persist in being a buffoon if you insist, but consider: even if you used a 548 in a fast food restaurant, how would you know what the mic sounded like? Only through the restaurant's PA. Which do you suppose is the limiting factor?

OP, if you want to read a post by a person with actual experience with many different Unidyne models, try this:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1209986&postcount=6

I have a 548, it's in storage and my ex-girlfriend accidently tossed the key to the mic locker. Messed with it enough to get an idea of it.

But anyway...

Technically IIRC they have more bottom end response than a SM57 (have both USA and Mexican 57's BTW) or 545 (personally have a 546)

The various Shures all can match well on a given source and IMHO one is not necessarily better just based on the series number alone.

FWIW the 548 and 546 probably sound the best on my vocals in terms of truer fidelity, but on a grittier blues song I like the "hecho in Mexico" SM57 better YMMV.

Chris

Listen to Chessparov - the man knows his dynamics. He sold me a nice 545 I still have.

How are you Chess??? Haven't seen you around these parts for some time.

Hi Fab, sorry for the delay responding...

Overall doing good. Will try to remember to send you a PM with a more detailed overview soon. Glad to hear the 'ol 545 is serving you well.

It's been very "ear-opening" for me to see/listen to the old concert footages on you-tube
where they've used a Shure Unidyne and have gotten great sound out of one.

For example, IIRC there's some 70's concert footage of Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) using a SM57 at The Forum (L.A.)-and it sounded stunning for his voice IMHO.

As my voice has (to a fair degree) similar weight/tone to his, so it lent plausibility as to thinking the Unidyne family sound worked particularly well for my baritone vocals too.

Chris

For What it's Worth

Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades recommends U.S.A Unidyne Series Mic's over any other SM 57 type Mic ,I asked why ? Jim stated the capsules are better on the Unidyne US models.Jim forgot more about mic's than I know,I defer to his expertise.

Back