Shure Unidyne III?

Tom Hicks

And the answer to that question is...proto-57.
As in prototypical.Among my old Shure mics is A Unidyne III, model 545SD,brushed chrome barrel with on-off switch.Next,I have a black matte Unidyne III, model SM57,no switch.The next mic is the same black 57 with the words Unidyne III now finally removed,as has remained the case for 20 years or whatever.
I also have a "highball" Unisphere I, model 565SD purchased from a soundman buddy off a Fleetwood Mac Hawaiin tour of late 70s vintage and reputed to have been Mick's vocal mic.
Back to Unidyne IIIs.Most folks don't know their pedigree so you can see em cheap at pawn shops and other places.

I've got three of them, too, from back in the early 70's. The mics themselves might be older than that. Trouble is, they've all got the 4-pin Amphenol connectors that have been mutilated over the years, & I don't trust myself to rewire them. (I HATE soldering, especially really small stuff.) And they sat ignored in the factory case with the foam in it for years and years and now they've got that deteriorated foam stuck all over them. I hope to get around to cleaning them up someday...

UNIDYNE III

OLD UNIDYNE III AND SM57 ARE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME. THE UNIDYNE CAME IN MANY VARIATIONS OVER THE YEARS. WWW.SHURE.COM HAS DATA ON ALL THE MICS, HOW TO WIRE THEM CORRECTLY, AND GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. WILL ANSWER ANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS, USUALLY IN ONE DAY. BEST WEB SITE I'VE EVER SEEN! YOU CAN PICK UP UNIDYNE III CHEAPER ON EBAY THAN SM57S.

I've got one also, I thought they were all high impedence. I keep in the bag as a spare for live work and it's come in handy on casuals when someone wants to speak.....I just plug it into the wireless guitar transmitter and they can speak away. It looks kind of silly with the transmitter hanging off it and all, but it gets the job done.

sm57/Unidyne III

I'll get to the shure site and see what I can find...while absent here for a couple minutes I went out to the shop...I bet the cap and the body are from two different mics! Seems electrical tape is the answer now for sure. i tried to fit the two snap rings into place ( one has the little turn down broken off but it still fit around the grove where it's supposed to, anyway when I tried to slip the mic body into the cap one of the snap rings went kapoing all the way across the shop into a mess of stuff...no way I'm diggin' through that pile!

Thanks so much,

Mike

Last edited:
ALBERTPIKE said:
OLD UNIDYNE III AND SM57 ARE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME. THE UNIDYNE CAME IN MANY VARIATIONS OVER THE YEARS. WWW.SHURE.COM HAS DATA ON ALL THE MICS, HOW TO WIRE THEM CORRECTLY, AND GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. WILL ANSWER ANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS, USUALLY IN ONE DAY. BEST WEB SITE I'VE EVER SEEN! YOU CAN PICK UP UNIDYNE III CHEAPER ON EBAY THAN SM57S.
I'll get to the shure site and see what I can find...while absent here for a couple minutes I went out to the shop...I bet the cap and the body are from two different mics! Seems electrical tape is the answer now for sure. i tried to fit the two snap rings into place ( one has the little turn down broken off but it still fit around the grove where it's supposed to, anyway when I tried to slip the mic body into the cap one of the snap rings went kapoing all the way across the shop into a mess of stuff...no way I'm diggin' through that pile!

Thanks so much,

Mike

Sm57/Unidyne III

Tom Hicks said:
And the answer to that question is...proto-57.
As in prototypical.Among my old Shure mics is A Unidyne III, model 545SD,brushed chrome barrel with on-off switch.Next,I have a black matte Unidyne III, model SM57,no switch.The next mic is the same black 57 with the words Unidyne III now finally removed,as has remained the case for 20 years or whatever.
I also have a "highball" Unisphere I, model 565SD purchased from a soundman buddy off a Fleetwood Mac Hawaiin tour of late 70s vintage and reputed to have been Mick's vocal mic.
Back to Unidyne IIIs.Most folks don't know their pedigree so you can see em cheap at pawn shops and other places.

Thanks so much,

Mike

mreck321 said:

Thanks so much,

Mike
Incidentally Tom, I own a pawnshop named Panda Pawn & Pro Music...the mic I was trying to repair cam into the shop with about 10 others of various vintage...one is a brushed chrome barrel with an on-off switch, it's probably same version as the one you mentioned.

Back