shure SM86? for live vocals

frogdog

okay whats the story on these mics,don't hear much about them.i may be able to get one for a good price used, to use for live vocals on jazz,swing and folk.
on the Shure site it says they are a condenser mic suitable for live vocals good with stage moniters.also thinking about a beta 58 how do they compare.whats other comparable mics in akg,audix and audio technica.thanks

On the right source they are awesome. It is completely different than a Beta 58.
It is the less-expensive version of the SM87. The HF lift is a little narrower than the 87, which has a very smooth lift. It doesn't have as smooth a polar response as the SM87 (one of my faves), which can make it a bit twitchy in the monitors, but only at extreme volumes. Most people won't notice. It's 90% of the SM87 at 75% the price, list. Street price, they are a bit closer. $215 vs. $179

It's a condenser, so needs phantom power. It has really nice high end, without the sometimes screechy (I think) sound of the Beta 87. Usually sounds great on females, and the right males. It is cardioid, so it is a bit more forgiving with singers that back off the mic a bit. Makes it a bit more vulnerable to bleed with this pattern, but for quieter stuff like it sounds you will be doing it could be a great mic. Since you are getting it used, try to see if you can audition it first.

If you are doing live sound for different acts, and this is your first mic, something else might be a better choice. If you are looking for a different flavor to have in your arsenal, I would recommend looking at it pretty hard, especially at a good price.

Back