Is the Shure SM7B the right fit for my voice?

My Thoughta

If this were just a Mic Pre I would say check for an output level switch that might be lowering the output such as a switch changing the output from -12 to +4 output.

Since this is a USB output it makes me wonder if there is a adjustment form the audio program or interface Driver that allows the volume to be adjusted on the computer side.

Obviously since you are getting a loud signal when directly monitoring from your interface, you have achieved a good signal level internally.

On my dbx286s preamp/preprocessor, the level meter usually stays within the first two green LEDs (-20dBu to -10dBu) and occasionally hits the yellow LED (0 dBu).With the gain set to 60 dB and the processor bypass activated, an attempt is made to bridge the dbx286s to the Focusrite Scarlett Solo using a 1/4" TRS cable from the LINE OUT jack in the back of the dbx286s to the line in jack on the front of the Scarlett Solo. I'm assuming that this line in jack on the Solo is intended for instruments, as there is a picture of a guitar directly above it. There is a switch that says "LINE/INST"; I usually keep this on LINE. Attempting to further increase the gain using the gain nozzle on the Solo causes the audio to heavily distort, as if I've given it enough/too much gain already. But despite this, the input remains quiet. I'm using 100% microphone volume in Windows 10.

The Focusrite Scarlett Solo has been very fiddly in Windows 10, only working correctly in certain USB ports. Yet it claims that it has full compatibility with Windows 10. The ports that do recognize it to the point of it being usable label it as FocusriteUSB, where as the ports that will not use it correctly are labeled as Scarlett Solo, or something similar to that. Attempting to play the test tone in Playback Devices when the device is named Scarlett Solo ultimately fails.

I noticed that the gain nozzle on my dbx286s reports a +45db increase in gain over line; I was considering purchasing the 1/4" TRS to male XLR cable to plug directly into the XLR input on the solo to see if that would work better than the TRS line in on the Solo. Any thoughts? I can't imagine why I'm unable to get good, full sounding audio out of my current chain.

(Electrovoice RE20 ---> dbx286s preamp/processor ---> Focusrite Scarlett Solo ----> PC running Win 10 Pro)

Connecting line out to line in (switch set to "line") is correct.

There should be an LED ring on the Scarlett that turns green when there's signal and red when it clips. It should not turn red. If it does, your levels are too hot. The level you're getting out of the DBX is on the conservative side of what you want, so too much boost from the Scarlett will make it overload and distort.

What you're describing sounds like it might be a driver related issue. If you've registered the Scarlett online and downloaded the software bundle, included will be the Windows drivers for the device. The drivers must be installed properly as per the manual before use. This can be a quirky process sometimes. I'd try to reinstall the drivers or delete them from Windows and reinstall until the Scarlett ASIO device in Windows works properly.

What recording software are you using? There are a couple of freebies included with the Scarlett software bundle - Albeton Live Lite and Pro Tools First. Any other DAW software should also work, such as Audacity or Reaper. When recording the file there should be some kind of metering to tell you the signal level. A good level will average at around -18 dBfs and peak at no higher than around -10 maximum.

I've been toying around with it over the past day or two to see if I could figure out what was going wrong. In Audacity when using the measuring tools, I've noticed that my recording levels stay between -27 to -18 dB along the left channel (nothing happening in the right channel). I'm able to "fix" this by using the "drive" knob of the compressor on the dbx286s, but this also makes the recording quite noisy. Is there any way I can get it to between -18 and -10db without using any of the processing features? Will that require a Cloudlifter?

Haven't used Audacity much beyond toying with it briefly around 10 years ago.

There should be a way to select a mono track to record to so that your signal will be played back in both channels after it's recorded, or you can pan it left or right if you wish. Nudging the gain up on the Focusrite until it's in range shouldn't make the signal overly distorted. Your level is close to where it needs to be already so something like a 3 to 6 dB boost going in is all I'd probably want to do.

It should be easy enough to boost the level in Audacity after the recording. If the signal is clean going in you should be able to boost it a lot closer to 0 dBfs after. This process should not add obvious distortion until you clip the signal over 0 dBfs. You can also apply compression and/or limiting through the software if you wish.

the SOLO is 46db gain for Mic In, the Line In 36db. Its also limited in power from USB p.s.
the SM7 is a bad match for the SOLO really.

So to make the SM7 work you will have to spend more money.

this is common with the hyped SM7. I went through it too, the SM7 "the mic for noisy rooms" the "thriller mic" etc.... but it needs 60db gain preferably 80db gain preamps!!! so welcome to preamp shopping. Its a classic but its often not known how much the preamp gain really is required.

Option) Cloudlifter is 25db, add to the weak SOLO preamp I wouldnt bet on it being very good.
OPtion) ISA One is a very popular choice with the SM7 add $500
Option) add other options...

DBX not working seems odd. The Symetrix 528e same type, but the SYmetrix is pro-gear that can be had cheap and I know it has more than enough power. Ive had a few 528's and a 628. Also a Rane MS1 I, DMP3,VTMB etc..lower end type preamp can work but the Symetrix has all the other Channel Strip stuff without having to buy that later at same price.

I'll bet the SOLO would work fine with a decent output LDC plugged straight in... no preamps needed

Maybe you got a funky DBX?

Whenever I set the recording device (Scarlett Solo) to Mono/Single Channel, the microphone stops working. Whenever its set to stereo, it will record in the left channel. But when it is set to mono, it does nothing at all. This is in Windows 10. Does anyone know whats wrong?

the audio device config for Input should be 1MONO/2Mono....not 1/2 stereo.
did you check that?

Attachments

• Solo.png
    Solo.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
In Windows 10, the Solo is set to 1 channel, 24-bit, 48000 Hz, but does nothing; In Audacity, the settings are set such that:

Input: Focusrite USB Microphone
Channels: 1 Mono (Available choices are 1 Mono, 2 Stereo)
Output: Focusrite USB Speaker Output

There also appears to be some sort of hissing noise coming from the preamp (?):
Vocaroo | Voice message

This clip was recorded while the RE20 was wrapped up in a blanket.

Last edited:
...process of elimination.

The mics ok= plays in left stereo
The cables ok= plays in left stereo
the DBX is ok= plays in the left side stereo mode

Software?
SOLO softCOnfig = ok
AUDACITY= ?
WINDOWS 10= ?

IF all Ok= SOLO unit is bad...imo

In regards to the hiss, it seems to be the dbx; I bridged the RE-20 and the dbx286s with a Cloudlifter equivalent device (SS-1 gain booster). This made it easier to get it to line level, but any further gain increases beyond 30 at that point results in unacceptable hiss. Disconnecting the microphone and listening to nothing but the dbx itself at max gain also results in hiss. With the microphone connected at max gain, hiss is still present. I can't tell though. Disconnecting the dbx from the Scarlett Solo and turning the gain up on it results in strong hiss as well; Ultimately, I'd like to get this to be hiss free if I can (see sound clip in previous post for example).

When the microphone input is set to stereo in Windows settings and Audacity is set to record in stereo, audio will input through the left channel. When the microphone is set to mono in Windows settings, nothing works. This also means that using Windows 10's built in Voice Recorder app does nothing.

Setting up the input in Audacity should have nothing to do with Windows if you have the proper ASIO driver installed and selected.

Setting up the input in Audacity should have nothing to do with Windows if you have the proper ASIO driver installed and selected.
"Audacity, as an open source program licensed under the GPL, is therefore currently unable to support ASIO, despite being ASIO-capable (providing the user's sound device is similarly capable). If ASIO support were distributed in Audacity builds this would either violate Steinberg's licence agreement if the code were included, or conversely would violate Audacity's GPL Licence if the code were withheld."
ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki

"Audacity, as an open source program licensed under the GPL, is therefore currently unable to support ASIO, despite being ASIO-capable (providing the user's sound device is similarly capable). If ASIO support were distributed in Audacity builds this would either violate Steinberg's licence agreement if the code were included, or conversely would violate Audacity's GPL Licence if the code were withheld."
ASIO Audio Interface - Audacity Wiki

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've never spent a lot of time with Audacity because of not being able to run plugins in real time. No ASIO support would be another deal breaker for me.

In regards to the hiss, it seems to be the dbx; I bridged the RE-20 and the dbx286s with a Cloudlifter equivalent device (SS-1 gain booster). This made it easier to get it to line level, but any further gain increases beyond 30 at that point results in unacceptable hiss. Disconnecting the microphone and listening to nothing but the dbx itself at max gain also results in hiss. With the microphone connected at max gain, hiss is still present. I can't tell though. Disconnecting the dbx from the Scarlett Solo and turning the gain up on it results in strong hiss as well; Ultimately, I'd like to get this to be hiss free if I can (see sound clip in previous post for example).

When the microphone input is set to stereo in Windows settings and Audacity is set to record in stereo, audio will input through the left channel. When the microphone is set to mono in Windows settings, nothing works. This also means that using Windows 10's built in Voice Recorder app does nothing.

if you have the compressor setup a certain way you can really increase the lower noise levels.
set the comp for a 2:1 ratio and short attack and short release and see if the hissing is there.
I dont know the DBX specifically but it shouldnt be adding all that noise.. My Symetrix is very similar and has none of that.
If I crank the compressor though it will boost the quiet and squash the loud peaks though so the noise is increased.

have you tried just using the preamp and bypass the comp and eq?

those low Mv/pa mics like RE20 and SM7 are a lot of work...and cash to get their gain right.

Reaper is great. Never used Albeton but it comes bundled with the Scarlett, so there's another option. I'd like to suggest Pro Tools First but the online/cloud requirement and huge install seem to be overly complicated.

Back