Shure sm7b Question

Here is a pic of the xlr to xlr.

View attachment 100702

The input gain will show up in your DAW, not your interface. Inside your DAW, the meter needs to show between a -12 and -18dbs as you are recording. You will use the gain control on your interface to reach these levels.

I just checked and it is XLR to XLR.
Okay I will try to see if i can figure it out reaching -12db and -12dbs

I just checked and it is XLR to XLR.
Okay I will try to see if i can figure it out reaching -12db and -12dbs

Watch this video. I made it for Reaper but it will work with any DAW concerning setting your input levels via your interface or mixer. Also, do you have any overhead high voltage power lines around you? We have not talked about electrical interference yet. Like never plugging in your interface or computer on the same circet as your microwave or ac window unit. If you have access to a Laptop, that is the best way to check for it, just unplug it from the wall and do a sample recording.

Watch this video. I made it for Reaper but it will work with any DAW concerning setting your input levels via your interface or mixer.

I will try this out, not sure if I can do advance audio settings in premiere pro but i will try to give it a try and get back to you later today

I will try this out, not sure if I can do advance audio settings in premiere pro but i will try to give it a try and get back to you later today

Cool. The video is easy to understand. Also, make sure your line/instrument button is set to "line" on your interface.

Cool. The video is easy to understand. Also, make sure your line/instrument button is set to "line" on your interface.

Hi Mack,

I've tried to follow the video, but I'm having a hard time figuring everything out in premiere pro.
Also my videos usually have multible audio clips 10+ so I would have to do it each time or would it just do it by it self?
I also tried streaming today, and i must admit my mic didnt sound good at all, with raw audio that is since it is through OBS Studio.

Would this Yamaha MG10 XU - Thomann Danmark help me in any way or form or would it be waste of money.

Last edited:
I also tried streaming today, and i must admit my mic didnt sound good at all.

What about it, specifically, didn't sound good?

Looking at post #83 and the attached clip, I guess you have your input level sorted?
That clip sounds healthy to me - There's room for it to be louder, but it's not mega quiet.

I hear mild background noise/hiss, and room echo on your voice but...apart from that it sounds OK.
You said about 10cm before - It sounds like you're farther away than that....?

What about it, specifically, didn't sound good?

Looking at post #83 and the attached clip, I guess you have your input level sorted?
That clip sounds healthy to me.

I hear mild background noise/hiss, and room echo on your voice but...apart from that it sounds OK.

DO EVERY THING STEENAMAROO JUST SAID! If you have no bench mark to start with, every thing else is just going to be a stab in the dark. DO NOT spend any more money on ANYTHING, in till you answer our questions. If you don't know the answer, simply say so.

No one in this community came from the womb with the knowledge we have in 2017 and nobody with have less respect for you, if that is the case. In fact, they will probably have more respect due to your honesty. Myself, it took me 40 years just to learn that I know every single way, to do it wrong. Once you learn that, doing it right is a piece of cake!

Oops. I might have left you high and dry with a mega post edit....Sorry Mack! :p

OP, I recorded a little clip illustrating room reverberation and background noise level as you move away from a microphone.
Maybe relevant, maybe not, but hey...here it is.

The same happens the more off-axis you get so keep that in mind too - Have the mic as in-front-of-you as is possible.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 22.16.02.png

Attachments

• noise.mp3
    373.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi Mack,

I've tried to follow the video, but I'm having a hard time figuring everything out in premiere pro.
Also my videos usually have multible audio clips 10+ so I would have to do it each time or would it just do it by it self?
I also tried streaming today, and i must admit my mic didnt sound good at all, with raw audio that is since it is through OBS Studio.

Would this Yamaha MG10 XU - Thomann Danmark help me in any way or form or would it be waste of money.

OK, I was a victim of slow posting. :facepalm: That means that while I was writing my last post, [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION], clicked his submit button, 2 secs before I did. LOL. DO NOT BUY THE MIXER. THAT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

Now, I am going to get brutally honest with you concerning your issue. First and foremost, I have 40 years experience doing this and if you want me to proceed, you will do every thing I will ask you, right down to the letter, or I will simply move off this thread. I run two corps and cram 30 hrs into a 18 hr day, six days a week, 50 weeks a year. The remaining 2 weeks, I sleep. I simply do not have time to keep answering questions when I already know how you need to proceed. Please bear with me.

If you click here and read the 43rd paragraph on a article I wrote concerning you mic, you will see why this issue frustrates me. It's not your fault! This is what we need to do. I start at 1am every day, est. You need to send me a PM on when you have 1 hr of free time.

I am going to send you a link to a program that will allow me to take control of your computer. I will run your software from my end, as you work your mic/interface from your end so I can see what the input levels are. WE MUST START THERE! After this is set, you will do a 30 to 60 sec recording, saving it a wav format. I will send you my Dropbox link where you can than upload your test file. 10 secs silence, 10 sec voice on how you will be normally recording, 10 sec silence, etc in till you hit 60 secs.

At this time I will download your file and do what I do. At this time you don't need to know what I am doing, you just need to comply with my request. Like I told one of my professors 20 years ago, "I don't need to know how to build the F***ing Power Plant, I just need to know where to plug my F***ing TV in". I got up and walked out of his class and 30 of my fellow students followed my move. Two weeks later he was relieved of his duties.

My objective is not to talk down to you, yet I can not bring you to my level in 5 or 6 post.

After I am finished reviewing your file, than and only than, will we move on to the next step in your signal path, which seems to be your streaming audio software. If the first file passes the test, we can move forward. If not, the problem will be restrained within your recording environment, your mic, cable, interface or computer.

All we are doing right now, is chasing our tails. When someone asks you to trust them and you have no idea who they are, it is a hard step to take. This much I promise you, if you give me 60 mins of your time, I will solve your problem! if you think that statement is arrogance, you are mistaken. In my circle, we call it experience.

Back