Shure sm7b Question

:) No worries.

Tell me something -

If you set your headphone/speaker levels to where ever the were before, do you hear hiss/noise on this clip?

Attachments

• clip.mp3
    425.3 KB · Views: 3
Great catch.
Your recording is, indeed, very quiet.

It's absolutely conceivable that your headphone output is turned up really loud to compensate and causing you to hear hiss that isn't on the recording.

Turn your headphones/speakers down and microphone input gain up, then try again.

This will have no impact on ambient noise/fans etc but, as I said, I didn't exactly find those overpowering.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that? :(

---------- Update ----------

Reaper told me. ;-)

View attachment 100687

I just did this video that explains how to set your input levels via your interface or mixer. If you take 14 min to watch it, it may just help you with many things down the road.

I will definitely watch the video!

---------- Update ----------

:) No worries.

Tell me something -

If you set your headphone/speaker levels to where ever the were before, do you hear hiss/noise on this clip?

I don't hear anything through my headphones no :D

Not dismissing Mack or Faview's points about absorption / blocking, btw.
I'd prove the source first, though.
That is correct. Thereis no point blocking the noise of the computer, if the computer isn't the thing making the problem noise.

That is correct. Thereis no point blocking the noise of the computer, if the computer isn't the thing making the problem noise.

This is another mic test. The mic is facing away from the PC and is about 2.5m away.
I still hear the noise but I'm not sure if that's the fans or not. My PC isen't that loud, I mean sure I can hear the fans but barerly.

Attachments

• Test Mic 2.mp3
    157.9 KB · Views: 9
It's impossible to know if that's good or bad without voice for reference - always add a short bit of speech for comparison.
Did you try the 'detector' thing?

That said, that clip sounds more like hiss than noise in the room.

Can you do the same clip again with talking for reference please?

Last edited:
Wait - Your soudcloud upload sounds totally different to the attached mp3 on the same page.

Was the soundcloud upload a wav file?

It's impossible to know if that's good or bad without voice for reference - always add a short bit of speech for comparison.

This was his last test clip. You must click on the picture to make the gif image work.

View attachment 100690

Last edited:
Hey, just to rule out the obvious...
Can you confirm that your input cable(s) are XLR to XLR, and that phantom power is enabled on the interface, for your cloudlifter?

Last edited:
A mixer would be very useful for some reasons:
1. You can apply in real time the EQ to your voice, without having to apply the EQ by software later to each file you record. Hearing in real time your EQ'd voice is useful to adjust your voice (how you speak) getting a better final sound.
2. You hear your voice without delay.
3. You can put a gate/compressor between mixer and computer.

It would be useful a mixer with PRE AUX send (the most have POST AUX send for external effects).

1. You can apply in real time the EQ to your voice, without having to apply the EQ by software later to each file you record. Hearing in real time your EQ'd voice is useful to adjust your voice (how you speak) getting a better final sound.

It would be useful a mixer with PRE AUX send (the most have POST AUX send for external effects).

Agreed ^. There is a tendency for the 'mixer' to be discounted for home recording in forums in favour of the all pervading AI and certainly, an AI is almost always the easiest solution for the newb but, as pointed out above, mixers have their benefits.

My ZED 10 (Mk1) for instance has HPfilter for each mic channel plus 3 band EQ with variable F mid. The mic pre amps are better than you will find on most AIs plus you have pan and a separate channel level control. Waaay better level meters than any AI I have ever seen!

This recording lark is VERY complex and their are many, many ways to go about it. Noobs tend to be musicans that don't want to 'get technical' or gamers/podders who want 'cheap, dirty and simple' (but are nit 'appy when they get it!) .

There is of course no reason why you cannot get a decent mixer (as per my A&H) and feed it into an AI's line inputs.

Dave.

Your point is a very good one provided that the person using the mixer has years of experiance as well as a very well trained ear for audio.

If these setting are incorrect, you have now embedded them into your recording and if you wanted to change them later, you can't. You can set up most DAWs to achieve the same thing by setting up a track and sending the input signal to the track with reverb or eq so you can hear your voice, but the fx will not be in the recording. This will allow you to change/tweak the settings later on.

Most AIs have 0 latency monitoring right from the unit and can use the ASIO file. As far as I know, most DAWs can also read the ASIO file which will provide the same results.

"Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) is a computer sound card driver protocol for digital audio specified by Steinberg, providing a low-latency and high fidelity interface between a software application and a computer's sound card".

Again, unless you have years of experience, this is a very bad idea. I can not tell you how many files I have been sent by someone who had a "Once In A Lifetime Recording" begging me to fix their file due to improper gating/compression. Once that signal runs through the hardware and into the recorder, it is final.

From famous interviews to recording recitals, improper gate/compression settings can destroy the delicate features that make the audio what it is. Once the audio/music/words have been chopped by the gate, it is impossible to repair. It also makes it very difficult to use a noise reduction filter, for the rest of the audio.

There is nothing worse then listening to crystal clear audio when there is silence, only to hear a bunch of background noise come in when the gate opens up. Not an argument, just pointing out some potential pitfalls concerning recording audio with pre set conditions.

I totally agree Mack, it is almost always best to record 'clean and flat' but I think the mixer comments were also alluding to monitoring with 'effects' but having a clean feed to the DAW?

The most common use perhaps is some 'flattering' reverb to a singer's cans? This can be pretty dire, not something you ever want on your Mag'Op but if it helps the voice?

I see no great problem recording with HPfilter for most sources? As to 'undoing' cockups? The power of modern digital processing is awesome and things like Cedar can do wonders. Costs a bloody fortune of course!

Dave.

Leyst says: "I record videos, and do voice overs through Adobe Premiere Pro".
It's a very simple job, then he can do some tests before final recording and he can't make big mistakes. At the same time, the work will be faster, because it will need less work in post production.

It's the same, I will attach a new one

Attachments

• New Mic test.mp3
    220.3 KB · Views: 1
Hey, just to rule out the obvious...
Can you confirm that your input cable(s) are XLR to XLR, and that phantom power is enabled on the interface, for your cloudlifter?

I went down in the store and thats the cables they gave me. How can I check if its XLR to XLR? Would a picture help?
My interface is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, only thing i do when recording is to turn on the 48V and the gain is about 6

Leyst says: "I record videos, and do voice overs through Adobe Premiere Pro".
It's a very simple job, then he can do some tests before final recording and he can't make big mistakes. At the same time, the work will be faster, because it will need less work in post production.

Indeed, the reason why I got this mic to start with was due to forum post saying that it didnt pick up as much noise and I wouldn't have to do much post production.
It would save me a lot of time. Right now 1 video about 10-15 mins takes me 15 hours to record and edit. So every min counts :D

I went down in the store and thats the cables they gave me. How can I check if its XLR to XLR? Would a picture help?
My interface is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, only thing i do when recording is to turn on the 48V and the gain is about 6

Here is a pic of the xlr to xlr.

View attachment 100702

The input gain will show up in your DAW, not your interface. Inside your DAW, the meter needs to show between a -12 and -18dbs as you are recording. You will use the gain control on your interface to reach these levels.

Last edited:
Back