Shure sm7b Question

Leyst

Hello,
So I've had my Shure sm7b for a while now, but my only issue with it is that it is mono and the sound comes out from only 1 speaker.
I'm using the mic for videos.
I remember reading somewhere that you can do a trick to make it sound better and on both speakers but I can't remember where I read it.
So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello,
So I've had my Shure sm7b for a while now, but my only issue with it is that it is mono and the sound comes out from only 1 speaker.
I'm using the mic for videos.
I remember reading somewhere that you can do a trick to make it sound better and on both speakers but I can't remember where I read it.
So any suggestions would be appreciated.

'Kin'nell Leyst! Talk about 'information overload'...NOT!

WHAT are you plugging the mic into? In a decent Audio Interface you can just buy or build an XLR splitter. The low output impedance of the Sm7b means there will be virtually no loss of sensitivity.

If going into a mixer, just pan it centrally and it comes out as double mono 'phantom' centre image.

What DAW are you using? I only know of one that allows (in a simple way) you to make a 'mono mix' recording from a single input and that is Samplitude.

Dave.

You aren't by any chance plugging it directly into the camera via a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack using an adapter, are you?

Like [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] said, not enough information here, really.

'Kin'nell Leyst! Talk about 'information overload'...NOT!

WHAT are you plugging the mic into? In a decent Audio Interface you can just buy or build an XLR splitter. The low output impedance of the Sm7b means there will be virtually no loss of sensitivity.

If going into a mixer, just pan it centrally and it comes out as double mono 'phantom' centre image.

What DAW are you using? I only know of one that allows (in a simple way) you to make a 'mono mix' recording from a single input and that is Samplitude.

Dave.

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 atm, but I don't like it that much so was thinking about getting a mixer.

---------- Update ----------

You aren't by any chance plugging it directly into the camera via a 1/8" (3.5mm) jack using an adapter, are you?

Like [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] said, not enough information here, really.

I'm using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 atm, but I don't like it that much so was thinking about getting a mixer.

This interface has separate left and right outputs, so you need to make certain that those outputs are feeding to left and rights speakers,
and also that your recording software is sending to left and right outputs.

What recording software are you using"?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71mqtXZQFpL._SL1500_.jpg

That will get the signal into both mic inputs. (I could hardly buy the bits for that)

Nothing at all wrong with the 2i2. Not my fave' AI, I personally think it is poor value but I cannot see you finding better performance at anything under 5 times the price?

Just a thought tho, is it perhaps that the 2i2 is a bit noisy with the 7b? They are a very low output microphone and although the F'rite preamps are amongst some of the best at its price level the mic could be a bit of a challenge unless you are very close and fairly hearty.

But, IMHO you won't buy a mic OR a mixer at any reasonable price that is better in that respect. If noise IS the issue, look up 'Cloudlifter' or 'Fethead' . Mind you, these preamps cost about the same as the 2i2!

If the bundled software is hissing you off try the 30 day trial of MAGIX Samplitude Pro X and if you like it get the free Sam Silver!

Dave.

STOP! You may have bigger problems than you are aware of. As far as I can remember, the 7b needs a minimum of 60dbs of clean gain. Again if I am not mistaken, your 212 delivers around 20dbs max. If you do not supply the proper amount of gain, your $400.00 mic is going to be severely limited and basically provide poor performance. Please keep this in mind before you spend your money on a mixer just to have the same issues. Is there any way you can provide us with a 10 or 20 sec audio clip?

If you are using free software like Audacity to record into, than you would simply create a stereo track to record into. If you are recording into a video program, (I use Camtisia), most record your mic on one channel (Left) and your system audio on the other (Right). You will than need to mix down both channels to create your stereo channel.

I use Reaper as my DAW. When I do my videos WITHOUT any system sound, than I have to separate the left and right channels, delete the right channel and make a duplicate of the left channel (My Voice). Than I can render both channels down to stereo. As far as your interface goes, the only way you will hear audio out of both speakers is if you have two powered monitors plugged into the left and right outputs on the back of your your interface.

I just finished this video showing you how you can check the noise level as well as the amount of gain your interface provides. I think it was Dave above who turned me on to this neat little trick. You need to see what the input level is at 0 gain and subtract it from the input at the max gain to see how much gain you are receiving.

Last edited:
The 2i2 does not technically have the gain required by a Shure SM7b (50 vs 60), but let's figure out what the OP is doing before getting things too confused or recommending options that fix a problem other than the first one of (apparently) recording a stereo track with the mono mic input routed to only left or right.

If the interface is being used to record into a computer DAW, and if the input is properly set as mono, then it should just be by default routed to the stereo out/master with the pan centered. There should be no need to do any splitting/copying/doubling. But, I'm not even going to speculate there's a DAW involved at this point...

@Leyst, please give use full FULL details of your set up, start to finish, hardware and software, cables, details of any meters or indicators...Everything.
If 'I'm using the mic for videos' means you have existing digital videos and you're recording digital voice over, tell us that.
If it means you've got a bunch of hardware connected to a DV camera or something, tell us that.
If there's a toaster on your desk, tell us that.

Sorry to be head on but without details people are just going to blindly guess and you'll end up bringing a spark in to rewire your house or something equally unrelated.

Until you have done that, I'd recommend ignoring literally everything except this post.

That's the best advice I can give you right now.

@Leyst, please give use full FULL details of your set up, start to finish, hardware and software, cables, details of any meters or indicators...Everything.
If 'I'm using the mic for videos' means you have existing digital videos and you're recording digital voice over, tell us that.
If it means you've got a bunch of hardware connected to a DV camera or something, tell us that.
If there's a toaster on your desk, tell us that.

Sorry to be head on but without details people are just going to blindly guess and you'll end up bringing a spark in to rewire your house or something equally unrelated.

Until you have done that, I'd recommend ignoring literally everything except this post.

That's the best advice I can give you right now.

Yes ^ quite agree...

Mic
Frequency Response 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
THD+N -100dB (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 20Hz-20kHz filter)
Equivalent Input Noise (EIN) < -127dB: measured at maximum gain with 150Ω termination (20Hz-20kHz filter)
Gain Range -4dB to +46dB
Max Input Level +4dBu

Bit more than 20dB Mack (perhaps a typo?) My tortuous reasoning and probably wrong maths works out that the SM7b with full 46dB of gain would produce about -13dBFS from the 2i2 and close speech.
But since AI speccs almost never give you a figure for 'X mV in produces Y dBFS' we are left to guess.

So, the mic should give enough level, just but noise could be a problem.

Dave.

Bit more than 20dB Mack (perhaps a typo?)

Not at all Dave. I stand by my post 100%. I have answered this question close to 100 times now and the worst part is, that people spend their last dime on this mic only to find out it is worthless as far as giving professional result when their mixer or interface can not provide a min of 60dbs of gain. They always ask two questions and my answers are always the same.

From Shures website. "When selecting a preamp for the SM7 for voice-over work, make certain the preamp has a minimum 60 dB of gain." There bold text not mine.

"Many modern mic preamps assume the mic is a condenser mic with a "hot" output level. Thus, it is common to find mic preamps or mic mixers with gains of only 40 to 50 dB. This is not enough gain to bring the SM7 signal up to line level".

1. How can I make it work without spending any more money? My answer: you can't!
2. Are you sure that there is no other way? My answer: Read this from Shure on why you need this much gain.

The problem with the sound only coming out of one speaker is a routing problem, not a mic or interface issue.

If there is a DAW involved, you need to set it up so the sound comes out of both speakers. (i.e. use a mono track)

If there is no DAW involved, there is some sort of internal routing in the interface that will allow you to pan the mic signal center (get it to come out of both speakers)

I use a Triton Fethead on my preamps that lack gain for my SM7b. Also good for cheap ribbon mic I have. I'm 'thrifty' so the Fethead was my choice and it works fine. I also like that it mounts directly onto the SM7b.

TRITON AUDIO FetHead In-Line Microphone Preamp FETHEAD B&H Photo
Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator CL-1 B&H Photo

This is the advice I give when they come back and say OK, what do I need to buy. The Fethead has great reviews and like you said, it mounts right into the mic, no cables, wires, plugs etc. There is a great difference between "boosting gain" and supplying "clean gain".

No Mack, you said "Again if I am not mistaken, your 212 delivers around 20dbs max." It in fact has a maximum gain of 46dB according to Focusrite. Thus I asked if your '20dB' was a typo.

Yes Mack, the math is simple, to get around 1mV to LINE level you need 60dB of gain...IF that line level is +4dBu. But it ain't for the 2i2! We are not told (as I intimated) what the internal levels of the AI are but it certainly does not work at 'studio' +4 with 22dBu of headroom!

Therefore you don't need 60dB of gain to get a decent level in the AI. You will need the 2i2's gain maxed out though and therefore noise could be a problem.

Dave.

The bottom line Dave is that the OPs interface does not have sufficient gain to power their mic. In till they do, trying to trouble shoot their problem is like trying to drain the ocean with a tea spoon. You should never have to run your audio gear at 100% to achieve proper input levels. That is just as bad as having insufficient audio gear to begin with.

We discussed this before when people get a USB mic and run it into Audacity and have to boost their mic controls to 100%. That is why their forum is filled with thousands of post saying "how come this don't work".

The bottom line Dave is that the OPs interface does not have sufficient gain to power their mic. In till they do, trying to trouble shoot their problem is like trying to drain the ocean with a tea spoon. You should never have to run your audio gear at 100% to achieve proper input levels. That is just as bad as having insufficient audio gear to begin with.

We discussed this before when people get a USB mic and run it into Audacity and have to boost their mic controls to 100%. That is why their forum is filled with thousands of post saying "how come this don't work".

Works for me! (do you deny the 20dBb quote?) In any case. Where did a 'USB mic' come from? We are discussing a Focusrite 2i2.

Dave.

Back