Shure sm7b Question

OK, just so you know, I had no idea you were using the CL and it's not your fault. When you put 20 sound guys in the same room, you will get 20 different opinions. LOL!

OK, this is how it works in Reaper. When I arm my track to record, I have the option of selecting either a mono or stereo track. I think you have already been given the answer for your DAW, but if that does not work, check your track when you select your input device to see if it gives you the option of mono or stereo.

View attachment 100681

I tried to do the same thing and I was told I needed to invest in "Streaming Audio Software" to get professional results. At the time it was like $600.00. I said screw that and just started using Google Hang Outs. Your recording environment will play a huge part in how your mic sounds.

I think you should fix the issue with the l/r channels before you look elsewhere. OBS or your recording environment could very well be the problem.

Will do.

I have heard a lot of great things about the MG series but I have never used them. You also need to realize that the mic you have is rated as one of the best you can use for voice. With that being said, you also need to understand that your recording environment will play a large part of how any mic sounds. Can you give some details of where you are recording at and what is in the room?

I can do better than that and take a picture :) give me a min :)!

thumbnail_IMG_2647.jpg

Don't judge the cable managment pls :D

I can do better than that and take a picture :) give me a min :)!

View attachment 100682

Don't judge the cable managment pls :D

Your best option is to speak in the direction of the curtains after you close them and hang something behind you to absorb some room reflection. Room treatment is a science within its self. The nice thing about trying this is that its free and if it sounds better to you, then we can talk about that issue in another post.

Your best option is to speak in the direction of the curtains after you close them and hang something behind you to absorb some room reflection. Room treatment is a science within its self. The nice thing about trying this is that its free and if it sounds better to you, then we can talk about that issue in another post.

Thanks for that suggestion, only issue would be that I'm using the video infront of me to record when i do voice over :D

But I just don't understand, how so many streamers and so on can have a static free sound, and their room is similar to mine without anything behind them and so on.
They are using a condenser mic, and it picks up more static noise as I've read, but I might be misinformed.

That nowhere near as bad as I expected.

The majority of that background noise sounds like acoustic noise in the room, rather than interference or whatever.
It's most likely the computer fans - If not, something similar.

The first approach here is to eliminate the noise by turning off or moving whatever is making it. Not always possible, I know.

Second thing I'd try is getting as close to the mic as is possible, so that the ratio of voice to ambience is greater.
How close were you for that test?

Last edited:
My computer is beside the desk, i would say about 2M away.
Would this be possible to fix with a mixer such as the yamaha MG series, not sure if they have a noise gate to remove the ambient noise?

That nowhere near as bad as I expected.

The majority of that background noise sounds like acoustic noise in the room, rather than interference or whatever.
It's most likely the computer fans - If not, something similar.

The first approach here is to eliminate the noise by turning off or moving whatever is making it. Not always possible.

Second thing I'd try is getting as close to the mic as is possible, so that the ratio of voice to ambience is greater. How close were you for that test?

Also positioning the microphone can help - If the computer is noisy, for example, position the mic so the compute is behind it.

If that's not enough you can try relocating the microphone to a quieter room. (Edit: Just read your comment about video)

Would this be possible to fix with a mixer such as the yamaha MG series, not sure if they have a noise gate to remove the ambient noise?

A noise gate is an option. It would eliminate background noises while you aren't talking, but wont really address the ambient echoey sound of your voice.
I don't think the latter is a big issue but just pointing it out.

Do you live stream or edit+upload?

How close were you to the microphone when you spoke?

Something else to point out - In my opinion the background noise isn't awful.
Sure, I wouldn't record an audiobook at your setup but for game streams where there's almost constant music/effects/ambience, I don't see this posing a real problem.

Most mixers do not have gates but you can use something like the dbx 166xs. In Reaper you can do this as well. It's called using a "Pre-FX. See if your software has this option as well. Now, without sounding like I am scolding you, I understand that you must have your audio gear where it is at in order to do what you need to do, but, at this time, we just want to see if by doing as I suggested, improves your audio any at all. Also, what is your input level when you are recording?

See if you like this sound clip a little better. The reason I asked about your input level is it was at a -40dbs which is just way to low and this will cause excessive noise as well. Make sure you have your volume turned down as it is twice as loud as you posted it.

View attachment 100686

A noise gate is an option. It would eliminate background noises while you aren't talking, but wont really address the ambient echoey sound of your voice.
I don't think the latter is a big issue but just pointing it out.

Do you live stream or edit+upload?

How close were you to the microphone when you spoke?

Something else to point out - In my opinion the background noise isn't awful.
Sure, I wouldn't record an audiobook at your setup but for game streams where there's almost constant music/effects/ambience, I don't see this posing a real problem.

Atm I do videos for youtube, It was maybe about 10 cm away from me when I recorded the test of my mic.
I just don't understand it, but my best option might be a mixer instead of the Focusrite 2i2 since I can't really adjust much with it.

I've seen a lot of streamers with 0 issues, but that might be due to their settings in OBS.

A mixer isn't going to do anything and a noise gate won't be the solution. You would be best off getting longer cables and moving the computer farther away, or behind something.

You could also point the back of the mic toward the computer, which will give you the most rejection of noise from the computer itself. However, if the noise your picking up is the noise reflecting off the wall behind you, that won't work.

If you could somehow put something between you and the computer, to block the noise, that would help.

Most mixers do not have gates but you can use something like the dbx 166xs. In Reaper you can do this as well. It's called using a "Pre-FX. See if your software has this option as well. Now, without sounding like I am scolding you, I understand that you must have your audio gear where it is at in order to do what you need to do, but, at this time, we just want to see if by doing as I suggested, improves your audio any at all. Also, what is your input level when you are recording?

See if you like this sound clip a little better. The reason I asked about your input level is it was at a -40dbs which is just way to low and this will cause excessive noise as well. Make sure you have your volume turned down as it is twice as loud as you posted it.

View attachment 100686

That sounded a lot better.

Where did you see the -40dbs?
I can only turn up and down for the gain through the Focusrite not sure if thats what you mean?

Atm I do videos for youtube, It was maybe about 10 cm away from me when I recorded the test of my mic.
I just don't understand it, but my best option might be a mixer instead of the Focusrite 2i2 since I can't really adjust much with it.

I've seen a lot of streamers with 0 issues, but that might be due to their settings in OBS.

Heh..I know you really really really want a mixer but the hardware isn't the issue here.
Fair enough, a hardware chain with a noise gate in it will suppress noise during periods of silence but there are other, easier/cheaper, things that can be done.

My computer is ridiculously loud and my left knee is touching it where I sit, but I can get perfectly quiet vocal/speech recordings with a 7b at my desk.

Try this - pop your headphones on, get your mic live so you can hear what it hears, turn the volume up so you can clearly hear the background noises,
then carefully move the microphone around a little and observe the changes.

Do two things -
1: Use it as a detector - point it around the room to find out/confirm where the noise is coming from.
2: Try to find a quiet spot.

Simply rotating the mic 20/30 degrees either way may help a lot, or pushing it back so it's above your desk might help.

If the source of noise is your computer, play with some fan profile software and try to get it running cool but quieter.

Just some thoughts/examples.

Not dismissing Mack or Faview's points about absorption / blocking, btw.
I'd prove the source first, though.

Great catch.
Your recording is, indeed, very quiet.

It's absolutely conceivable that your headphone output is turned up really loud to compensate and causing you to hear hiss that isn't on the recording.

Turn your headphones/speakers down and microphone input gain up, then try again.

This will have no impact on ambient noise/fans etc but, as I said, I didn't exactly find those overpowering.

Heh..I know you really really really want a mixer but the hardware isn't the issue here.
Fair enough, a hardware chain with a noise gate in it will suppress noise during periods of silence but there are other, easier/cheaper, things that can be done.

My computer is ridiculously loud and my left knee is touching it where I sit, but I can get perfectly quiet vocal/speech recordings with a 7b at my desk.

Try this - pop your headphones on, get your mic live so you can hear what it hears, turn the volume up so you can clearly hear the background noises,
then carefully move the microphone around a little and observe the changes.

Do two things -
1: Use it as a detector - point it around the room to find out/confirm where the noise is coming from.
2: Try to find a quiet spot.

Simply rotating the mic 20/30 degrees either way may help a lot, or pushing it back so it's above your desk might help.

If the source of noise is your computer, play with some fan profile software and try to get it running cool but quieter.

Just some thoughts/examples.

Not dismissing Mack or Faview's points about absorption / blocking, btw.
I'd prove the source first, though.

Is it that obvious that I want a mixer :D

I will definitely try your suggestion and see if that helps. I hoped that this mic would avoid the noises but I guess audio is a lot more complicated than i first thought it was, but HEY you guys are education me in a brand new world and I really appreciate that!

That sounded a lot better.

Where did you see the -40dbs?
I can only turn up and down for the gain through the Focusrite not sure if thats what you mean?

Reaper told me. ;-)

View attachment 100687

I just did this video that explains how to set your input levels via your interface or mixer. If you take 14 min to watch it, it may just help you with many things down the road.

Back