Shure sm7b Question

EIN<-127dBV (or dBu? But it's similar...) is a good low noise. If gain is not enough, you can add it later.

Don't put those figures om me friend! They were lifted straight from the F'rite manual!

Noise figures should always be taken with a pinch of NaCl. Everybody and his uncle quotes '125' ish but often the noise found by reviewers and actual users does not seem to match?

I have never had a 2i2 and so would not like to comment. I do have an 8I6 and that seemed pretty good but I have not run that up in a year or more (will do tho!) . In any case the 8i6 is an old, obsolete model and the interfaces have gone through two upgrades since it was current.

"Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post

Equivalent Input Noise (EIN) < -127dB: measured at maximum gain with 150Ω termination (20Hz-20kHz filter)"

Forgot, this forum does not 'quote quotes' for some reason.
Dave.

Last edited:
This interface has separate left and right outputs, so you need to make certain that those outputs are feeding to left and rights speakers,
and also that your recording software is sending to left and right outputs.

What recording software are you using"?

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro, but I have to use audition to make it left and right.

Okay sorry for the poor explanation. Let me explain my setup a bit better. I'm not that good with audio so bare with me:)!

SETUP:
Shure sm7b
Cloud Cloudlifter CL-1 for the gain
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - To PC with USB

I record videos, and do voice overs through Adobe Premiere Pro, It only records on the left output so I have to go inside of Adobe Audition everytime to make it from mono to stereo.
It does output enough gain, and my only issue is that it dosen't output sound on left and right.

Also I use the mic for OBS which is a streaming/recording software, with this software i can simply put it on all outputs for the sound to come out from the right and left, the sound isen't what I expected and what I hear on other streams/videos, but I bet it's my settings in OBS that are messing with me.
I've also seen a lot of users use Yamaha MG series for their recording with this mic, would this be a better option for me? Or what would you guys/girls suggest?

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro, but I have to use audition to make it left and right.
I know that my post got lost in the fight over whether or not you have enough gain...

You need to either use a mono track in premier and route the mic input to it, or find a way to route the one mic input to both the left and right channels of the stereo track in Premier. I'm not familiar with the program, so I can't tell you how to do it. I assume you can create a mono audio track to record to, and that would be the way to go.

Inside of Premiere Pro :) ?

Let's see if it's a problem on the way in or the way out.

When you record, do you see audio on both sides of centre (on the green track), like this?

pro.png

I have premiere elements but never use it.
I just fired it up and hit record with one microphone plugged into channel one of my interface.
The above image is the result and it played out both speakers.

If you only see wave form on the top/bottom side, then it sounds like gianluca68 has the answer.

Let's see if it's a problem on the way in or the way out.

When you record, do you see audio on both sides of centre (on the green track), like this?

View attachment 100678

I have premiere elements but never use it.
I just fired it up and hit record with one microphone plugged into channel one of my interface.
The above image is the result and it played out both speakers.

If you only see wave form on the top/bottom side, then it sounds like gianluca68 has the answer.

soundex.jpg

So there isen't a way to do it without the software and using the effect to fill it?

Works for me! (do you deny the 20dBb quote?) In any case. Where did a 'USB mic' come from? We are discussing a Focusrite 2i2.

Dave.

No Dave I DO NOT deny the 20dbs quote. I simply try no to get to technical with someone that had only 1 or 2 posts made concerning their issue. I also did not feel the need to explain the math behind the 75% rule that should be applied to audio gear. Once the OP named their interface in the 4th post of this thread, their problem was obvious. Like I said, I have answered this question close to, if not over 100 times. I threw out the 20db number kinda to just show how far it was off from the Manufacturers Recommendation for the proper amount of gain required.

The USB mic came into play as an example of what happens when your mic is not supplied with the required gain. It was used as an example only. Now, keeping that in mind, you can check out my answer on this thread concerning what happens when your dynamic mic is under powered as well. I would appropriate any incite you may have concerning both my responses if you have the time to check it out. I had no idea their interface was powered by the USB port instead of the wall wart. This was the last post I made.

OK, that's enough fellas.
The OP hasn't asked about, or mentioned, levels, gain or noise.

Please don't continue to derail the thread, at least until a solution for his actual problem has been found.

No Dave I DO NOT deny the 20dbs quote. I simply try no to get to technical with someone that had only 1 or 2 posts made concerning their issue. I also did not feel the need to explain the math behind the 75% rule that should be applied to audio gear. Once the OP named their interface in the 4th post of this thread, their problem was obvious. Like I said, I have answered this question close to, if not over 100 times. I threw out the 20db number kinda to just show how far it was off from the Manufacturers Recommendation for the proper amount of gain required.

The USB mic came into play as an example of what happens when your mic is not supplied with the required gain. It was used as an example only. Now, keeping that in mind, you can check out my answer on this thread concerning what happens when your dynamic mic is under powered as well. I would appropriate any incite you may have concerning both my responses if you have the time to check it out. I had no idea their interface was powered by the USB port instead of the wall wart. This was the last post I made.

Hi Mack,

I'm using the Cloud Cloudlifter CL-1 for the gain, Since I do get loud enough sound out of the speakers, but my real issue is that it only gets output through the left.
I do get that the Focusrite Scarless 2i2 might not be the best choise and I've had a couple of problems with it, but would a mixer such as the Yamaha MG series help me with my problem and make the sound even betteR?

Thanks for posting the picture - This makes sense.
I can only assume premiere pro has more advanced audio options than elements, so look for that fill option that gianluca68 described.

That's the best and easiest solution. :)

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

It would be the same as if i were going into Adobe Audition and doing it manually, so there isen't really a "fix" to get a mono mic to output from right and left? They are simply only outputting through one side?

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

It would be the same as if i were going into Adobe Audition and doing it manually, so there isen't really a "fix" to get a mono mic to output from right and left? They are simply only outputting through one side?

Fill left/rill right is the fix.
Usually audio recording software will be a step ahead of you - It will take your mono source and let you pan it left/right/center.
Your video recording software isn't doing that automatically, but the fill option will sort that out.

The solution is digital - There's no compromise involved.

On the other hand, check your settings/preferences for audio input in Premiere Pro.
Perhaps gianluca can advise? It may be possible to set left and right to 'listen' to hardware input one, rather than one+two as it's doing now.

That would be a long term solution.

Fill left/rill right is the fix.
Usually audio recording software will be a step ahead of you - It will take your mono source and let you pan it left/right/center.
Your video recording software isn't doing that automatically, but the fill option will sort that out.

The solution is digital - There's no compromise involved.

I see, thanks for that.

amazing it did work :)! Thanks guys.
I'm hearing some static now, not sure how I should fix that. When I do it through Audition I don't hear the static sound.
I have too many issues it seems sorry :p

I see, thanks for that.

amazing it did work :)! Thanks guys.
I'm hearing some static now, not sure how I should fix that. When I do it through Audition I don't hear the static sound.
I have too many issues it seems sorry :p

If you didn't hear it before and you don't hear it through audition, it's most likely software related.

In your Premiere Pro settings under 'Audio Hardware', what is 'I/O buffer size' set to?

If you didn't hear it before and you don't hear it through audition, it's most likely software related.

In your Premiere Pro settings under 'Audio Hardware', what is 'I/O buffer size' set to?

I just tested it out, it also has static without the filler, but when i go inside of Audition, the presets I have does clean up the static. But I did lower the gain on the Focusrite and the static did go away.

buffer.jpg

But not sure why the mic has static, or is that my interface?

Ok,
Could you attach an mp3 of the static, please?

If possible have at least 5 seconds of 'silence' (static).. then a short bit normal speech close to the mic, so we have some sort of reference.
Please do this with no effects or processes - Just a raw recording.

Okay sorry for the poor explanation. Let me explain my setup a bit better. I'm not that good with audio so bare with me:)!

SETUP:
Shure sm7b
Cloud Cloudlifter CL-1 for the gain
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - To PC with USB

OK, just so you know, I had no idea you were using the CL and it's not your fault. When you put 20 sound guys in the same room, you will get 20 different opinions. LOL!

I record videos, and do voice overs through Adobe Premiere Pro, It only records on the left output so I have to go inside of Adobe Audition everytime to make it from mono to stereo. It does output enough gain, and my only issue is that it dosen't output sound on left and right.

OK, this is how it works in Reaper. When I arm my track to record, I have the option of selecting either a mono or stereo track. I think you have already been given the answer for your DAW, but if that does not work, check your track when you select your input device to see if it gives you the option of mono or stereo.

View attachment 100681

Also I use the mic for OBS which is a streaming/recording software, with this software i can simply put it on all outputs for the sound to come out from the right and left, the sound isen't what I expected and what I hear on other streams/videos, but I bet it's my settings in OBS that are messing with me.

I tried to do the same thing and I was told I needed to invest in "Streaming Audio Software" to get professional results. At the time it was like $600.00. I said screw that and just started using Google Hang Outs. Your recording environment will play a huge part in how your mic sounds.

I've also seen a lot of users use Yamaha MG series for their recording with this mic, would this be a better option for me? Or what would you guys/girls suggest?

I think you should fix the issue with the l/r channels before you look elsewhere. OBS or your recording environment could very well be the problem.

OK, that's enough fellas.
The OP hasn't asked about, or mentioned, levels, gain or noise.

Please don't continue to derail the thread, at least until a solution for his actual problem has been found.

Will do.

Hi Mack,

I'm using the Cloud Cloudlifter CL-1 for the gain, Since I do get loud enough sound out of the speakers, but my real issue is that it only gets output through the left. I do get that the Focusrite Scarless 2i2 might not be the best choise and I've had a couple of problems with it, but would a mixer such as the Yamaha MG series help me with my problem and make the sound even betteR?

I have heard a lot of great things about the MG series but I have never used them. You also need to realize that the mic you have is rated as one of the best you can use for voice. With that being said, you also need to understand that your recording environment will play a large part of how any mic sounds. Can you give some details of where you are recording at and what is in the room?

Back