Shure SM7b

Chrisdb

So what do people think of this microphone? before I go ahead and buy it. I've heard good things about it so far, and it seems amazingly cheap for all of the famous records that it has been used on.

I want to use it mainly for vocals, whilst recording acoustic guitar at the same time for myself, and I hear it's good for these sort of recording as it doesn't pick up much bleed. What do you guys think about it? I would like to hear from some more experienced recorders before I just go ahead and purchase it. ;)

I don't mean to be flip, but you really should use the search function on this one. I say that for your own benefit--the SM7b is one of most talked about mics around here, and you'll get a ton more info by spending some time in past threads as opposed to hoping the right folks pop into this one.

Since I took the time to type that, I'll take the time to add this: I love it. I own about 70 mics--lots of vintage obscure cheapies, but lots of nice new mics as well.

While I can't imagine being reduced to just one mic, if I were--you'd probably find me clutching my SM7b.

The white boy is right...you will find an answer to your question with the search function.
Most of it is pretty high praise...IMHO you can get one and a good pair of matched overhead condencers and you can make a whole CD with just that.

I bought it Because i read the Old posts of it here.I tought that this Mic was for Speach Only and never imagine how good is with Sopranos and With some Tenors.One thing that you should consider is a Preamp with A lot of gain and low noise,I recorded a vocal track with the SM7b and the DMP3 and the result was a lot of hiss.(Might be my cable is a crap but you still needing a lot of gain with this Mic).

I bought it Because i read the Old posts of it here.I tought that this Mic was for Speach Only and never imagine how good is with Sopranos and With some Tenors.One thing that you should consider is a Preamp with A lot of gain and low noise,I recorded a vocal track with the SM7b and the DMP3 and the result was a lot of hiss.(Might be my cable is a crap but you still needing a lot of gain with this Mic).

Might be the vocalist wasnt singing loud enough...you will get the hiss from most preamps when they are turned up really high.

Haha fair enough, sounds like it gets a lot of praise. Think this is definitely one worth a purchase, cheers for the comments ;)

At the moment I currently have an Mbox 2, and I soon am thinking of upgrading to a Digi 002 rack. Would these preamps be sufficient enough for the SM7?

You'll probably have to push the mbox 2 mini's pres all the way with a 7B, If you look at the FAQ on the 7b page on Shures website you'll see they suggest a pre with at least 60db of gain on this mic and I believe the mbox 2 mini has 53 db of gain (although that may not be current info it's been a while since I looked at one)

I'd say comparing my Sm7b to an SM57 it needs at least 3-4 db of gain more to get the same input levels so you do need some nice clean gain on your pres

Back