Shure SM7B

yodadbl07

I've heard that these mics are good for screaming vocals. I do a lot of punk recording and a lot of screaming goes down but every i look these are refered to as broadcasting mic. does that matter. should i look at getting one of these

I concur. There are no hard and fast rules! I would use a Fisher Price Toy microphone if it sounded good. Still, I don't think Neumann has anything to fear from the toy company at this time.

I think I'm paraphrasing something Chessrock posted a long time ago here.

Broadcast mic-Supposed to make the human voice sound natural and clear and pretty on the radio.

Recording mic- Supposed to make the human voice sound natural and clear and pretty, and you hope to hell it gets on the radio.

Got it? I'm sure that when Jacko recorded "Thriller" with that sucker, he had an idea it might get broadcast.-Richie

yodadbl07 said:
I've heard that these mics are good for screaming vocals.
Where'd you hear that?
The SM7 does have a relatively high SPL, but that's not going to make screaming vocals sound good.
It has a nice smooth response, but screaming is screaming; I don't know how you can make that sound good? :confused:

i understand

Broadcast mic-Supposed to make the human voice sound natural and clear and pretty on the radio.
Recording mic- Supposed to make the human voice sound natural and clear and pretty, and you hope to hell it gets on the radio.

very true thanks

I just bought one on ebay yesterday. Now I have to find the money to pay for it. I hope my kids don't mind not eating for a few days.
I'm real excited to finally be getting one of these. Can't wait to try it out.

I use a 7 as well as a KSM27 on vocals. I like the 7 for me, 'cause my voice is thin and it fills it out nicely. I like the 27 better on our other vocalist who does the hardcore screaming, it seems to give nice detailing on the natural vocal distortion caused by screaming. Between the two mics and our two styles I get a nice contrast.

Back