Shure SM7: Better in 'Noisy' environments than a Condensor??

hugocat

Hey there -

I've been researching microphones to use for VO work in my home studio. My preference is for the SM7 after many many people have recommended it, but thought I'd ask one more question.

For the time being, I can only afford the usual basic room treatment/soundproofing...... it would be a great help to find a mic that's the least likely to pick up the neighbor's dog/helicopters/motorcycles etc etc......I've heard that dynamics like the SM7 are less sensitive than the LDC mics: basically true?

Any thoughts appreciated, as usual!!
:D J

For the time being, I can only afford the usual basic room treatment/soundproofing...... it would be a great help to find a mic that's the least likely to pick up the neighbor's dog/helicopters/motorcycles etc etc......I've heard that dynamics like the SM7 are less sensitive than the LDC mics: basically true?

Any thoughts appreciated, as usual!!
:D J

Less sensitive, yes, but that applies to all sounds, not just the ones you don't want. It depends entirely on the polar pattern of the microphone you are comparing and the distance from your mouth to the microphone. If those factors are the same for a condenser as the SM7B, then the on-axis signal to off-axis noise ratio will be the same.

I would select a microphone based on what you like for your voice. If you like a microphone, but only a foot away, that will decrease the on-axis signal relative to off-axis noise. So choose the microphone that you like with your face right up against it.

Its more effective in solving the wall treatment issues...that Dog might take a few more steps to solve...where in the house do you record your vocals and acoustic instruments?

The 57 should be fine, no matter what mic you use, if there is noise in your room, your gonna pic it up, heck I used to record VO in a "soundproof/resistant" room on an RE 11 and SM58/57, and it would pick up foot steps out in the hall, that no one could hear, unless we turned the vol. all the way on the monitors, up during a break in the VO. If your looking to purchase a mic, I'd say pick up a 57 or 58, honestly your gonna use it, even if its not for this application. Try it and see how you feel. Personally I like the RE/PL 11 and RE 20 for any VO work, but the RE 20 comes with a higher price tag.

The 57 should be fine, no matter what mic you use, if there is noise in your room, your gonna pic it up, heck I used to record VO in a "soundproof/resistant" room on an RE 11 and SM58/57, and it would pick up foot steps out in the hall, that no one could hear, unless we turned the vol. all the way on the monitors, up during a break in the VO. If your looking to purchase a mic, I'd say pick up a 57 or 58, honestly your gonna use it, even if its not for this application. Try it and see how you feel. Personally I like the RE/PL 11 and RE 20 for any VO work, but the RE 20 comes with a higher price tag.

Heed the words of experience, well put :)

In general a dynamic mic picks up less unwanted noise and ambient sounds. Yes all mics pick up these sounds, but in general dynamics pick up less.
The SM7b is an excellent mic and I think you will love it. No it's not the best mic on every voice, but it sounds better than many condencers that cost several times more.
Be advised the SM7b requires a bunch of gain so pick a preamp carefully.

Will SM7 pick up less background noise? Well, yes, as MS says, by picking up less of *everything* and therein lies the rub, as the bard said. If you have a preamp with enough balls to crank an SM7 up, it will pick up *plenty* of noise. Basically, as MS said, the way to make noise less is to either make the noise quieter, or you louder, or both. The most obvious way to make yourself, but not the noise, louder, is to be pretty close to the mic, so you can turn down the gain on the preamp. This creates the benefit, and the problem, of proximity effect. When you get close to any directional mic, at a certain point, bass is boosted. At what distance this starts, how abrupt or gradual it is, and how pronounced it is, is a function of the mic, and they sure as hell weren't created equal. The shape of the housing, wind screen, if any, and the type of pop filter used, if any, can also modify the proximity field.

The SM7 gives the illusion of rejecting background noise by having a very low output, and being pretty forgiving to a close mic'd vocalist. In other words, the proximity field is small, gradual, and mild. That makes it easy to speak or sing into, especially if your mic technique isn't very good.

Should you buy an SM7 because it will reduce ambient noise? No. It won't. You should buy it because it is a great mic, a legitimate all-pro, that can be had for the price of the shockmount on a top condenser. Overall, I would call the SM7 the best mic of any kind for general use that costs less than $500 or so. I have rarely done any recording session where it wasn't used on *something*. What's not to love?-Richie

Dynamics tend to be a bit more directional. Less off axis noise. And low gain so you need proximity to make them shine. Higher ratio of you versus everything else. Alternatively you could record in your car which probably has more treatment than your average room. Just don't park next to the train tracks or interstate when you make the recording.

You're right, my mistake. All mikes pick up background noise, but when you close mike with a dynamic mic, the background noise seems to be further in the background and much less noticeable than with condensers. I can crank the gain on a condenser enough to hear my neighbor talking across the street in my headphones. I don't think I have a preamp with enough gain to do that with a dynamic mic.

No, dynamics are not "better" at rejecting background noise.
It is simple arithmetic. A decent capacitor mic will be 20dB, often more, sensitive than say a 58. If you have 60dB of gain on your pre amp then at the same setting the cap' mic will get 80 dB of gain, and that's a lot!.

Dave.

You're right, my mistake. All mikes pick up background noise, but when you close mike with a dynamic mic, the background noise seems to be further in the background and much less noticeable than with condensers. I can crank the gain on a condenser enough to hear my neighbor talking across the street in my headphones. I don't think I have a preamp with enough gain to do that with a dynamic mic.

Welcome back.
The reason is proximity.
As you get closer to a mic your voice is recorded louder while the background noise stays the same.

The same deal can help to cut down on recorded room ambience.
If you talk across a church hall to someone they will hear reverberations.
If you speak right into their ear in the same hall, they wont.

The construction of dynamics usually lets you get much closer than any condenser mic.

Welcome back.
The reason is proximity.
As you get closer to a mic your voice is recorded louder while the background noise stays the same.

The same deal can help to cut down on recorded room ambience.
If you talk across a church hall to someone they will hear reverberations.
If you speak right into their ear in the same hall, they wont.

The construction of dynamics usually lets you get much closer than any condenser mic.

Indeed, which is why I usually suggest that if a noob can only afford one mic, start with a Small D capacitor and try to get one with a 20dB pad switch. THEN! With a bit of "pop" foam you can get as close as a dymo.

My reccy? AKG Perception 170. Can be found for a nifty.

Dave.

Morning, Dave. :)
GOOD! Morning to you sir!
And a very nice one it is here. That biting wind has eased and it is dry and very, very bright. Off up town in an hour for a haircut and to browse the market and the Cash Generator centre. I am open to anything audio but specifically seek a cheap Behringer D120.

Dave.

I'm thinking of picking up a Rode Procaster for rap vocals as I often find LDC's a little too bright (although most likely often down to poor technique on my part) and the SM7b/RE's are sadly out of my price bracket...

I'm thinking of picking up a Rode Procaster for rap vocals as I often find LDC's a little too bright (although most likely often down to poor technique on my part) and the SM7b/RE's are sadly out of my price bracket...

O....kay. Just found it on Google. Not like Rode to porkify but calling it a "High output dynamic capsule" is just plain naughty. It is in fact 4dB LESS sensitive than an SM58 ( 1.6mV against 1.85mV) and the 57/58s are KNOWN as low output by todays standards! The Neo magnet AKG jobbies are some 6dB better.

Dave.

Then my in-line pre (it's like a FetHead or CloudLifter but made in England... Probably in a shed) will be a necessity?

Back