Shure SM58 vs Shure SM57

arsenaultk9

I've heard that the only difference between them is that the shure SM58 has a ball on top and the shure SM57 doesn't.
- Is that true
- What exactly are their difference
- Witch does a better Job for what

arsenaultk9 said:
I've heard that the only difference between them is that the shure SM58 has a ball on top and the shure SM57 doesn't.
- Is that true

I think the general consensus is that the 58 is used for vocals, and the 57 is for amps and instruments, particularly drums. I don't know if there are any technical or electrical differences outside their capsule/winscreen designs; however I will point out that some people do use 57s for vocals, and probably the same role reversal for 58s. My understanding is that they're pretty much the same mic.

cheers

Billy S.

When you get up close to a 58, it picks up more bass than the 57. That, along with it being virtually indestructible, makes it a good vocal mic. But pretty much they're the same, besides the windscreen, as you said.

The capsules of both mics are exactly the same. However, the grill construction and distance to the grill affects the sound. The ball of the 58 reflects sound back at the capsule at different angles than the 57. If you take the ball off a 58, it sounds much more like a 57.

arsenaultk9 said:
- Is that true
Break the rules!

I bought both a Beta 57A and a Beta 58A, originally intending the 57 for my amp and the 58 for vocals. Well...the 57 is now my primary live vocal mic, with the 58 as a backup, and I went and picked up the standard SM57 for my amp.

Sure certain mics will always do a "better" job on some sources than others, but a large part of the art of music is how it is recorded, and recording is as much an art itself as it is a science. As with all forms of art, you can get good results when you follow the rules, but you can also get good (albiet sometimes unexpected) results when you break the rules. It's like Harvey G. said about his "mistakes." He files them away in his "oh...so that's how you make that sound" folder for future reference.

That said, PhilGood nailed the answer.

Yes they are the same inserts, Shures parts list shows the same part number for both depending on which list you are able to get hold of.
I have a couple in stock to make repairs but have not needed to do so for many years.:o

Yes they are the same inserts, Shures parts list shows the same part number for both depending on which list you are able to get hold of.
I have a couple in stock to make repairs but have not needed to do so for many years.:o

You do microphone repairs?

I endeaver to repair and maintain my own kit wherever possible but I have noticed how little mic repair work I have to do since the smoking laws changed.
If your asking if I can repair your mic then I'm sorry the answer is no I don't take on repairs any more.

Back